Dekerf Implant ti

suburbanreuben

Old School Grand Master
A subtly different title.
Thanks to Adrian for flagging this up. I had a couple of sleepless nights wondering whether I really needed this frame but a couple of bottles convinced me I did. So I bid. And went to bed. And won.
A few days (less than a week) later I went to pick up the parcel from the Force. Thankfully it had had a charmed passage since the contents were floating around a box with the bare minimum of bubbles but no dropout brace, or indeed a geary dropout,...
Never mind, it was here and I had sufficient bits to build it up, mainly plundered from the Dean.
The Dean was going to be a hard act to follow. Beautifully built but with a steep 72deg head tube at 437mm a-c it was the most agile bike I think I've ever ridden,,, yet still totally stable at speed. Could the new arrival match it? It's early days but I think it can. I'm running 120mm Rebas which are a bit fluttery at full extension but I have a hunch the early Implants were built around 100mm travel. I need to try reducing the travel before I splash out on new forks, though I'm liking this long travel lark and may go the whole 130mm hog. Stuff I would previously have wimped out on is now being cleared with ease.
I like this bike!
It's interesting putting the two frames, Dean and Dekerf next to each other; The Dean looks like it needs 20mm more travel than the Implant.,
Maybe it does...

Attachments

• DSC_0008.jpg
    DSC_0008.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 589
  • DSC_0012.jpg
    DSC_0012.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 589
  • DSC_0019.jpg
    DSC_0019.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 589
  • DSC_0020.jpg
    DSC_0020.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 588
  • DSC_0021.jpg
    DSC_0021.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 588
  • DSC_0022.jpg
    DSC_0022.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 588
MynameisCasper":1rne71ba said:
Those dropouts are a real plus!

Aren't they just! replacements are something silly, like $12 a side, so the possibilities are endless- geared, SS, Rohloff, 142x12, or even with rack mounts!
A real Do-it-all bike.

Very nice, had a few thoughts about bidding on this myself. Possibly it deserves burlier forks?
Looks ace in a functional kind of way.
Whats the BB height?

stevet1":3fhi20ws said:
Very nice, had a few thoughts about bidding on this myself. Possibly it deserves burlier forks?
Looks ace in a functional kind of way.
Whats the BB height?

Thanks,
I have just bought some revelations, 110-140 on the bay, but they weren't described accurately "As new, but shop soiled", but with numerous scratches and perhaps cracks the seller didn't care to mention. I've had to open a case against him so a new fork will have to wait. :roll:
Bottom bracket is 13" high with 120mm .
I'm riding it with saddle nose-bars an inch shorter than is my usual, and despite the bars being high it climbs like a goodun, though with SS you never find out how it is seated and twiddling.
It's a great frame. Drama free and inspiring me to new levels of stupidity...
I need to get those summer tyres off too!

Back