vintage tyres and degrading rubber - your thoughts?

I have a pair of 1997 grey velociraptors that are now the consistency of plastic. Use them for photos but not riding. Still get new ones and also new z-max, so I don't see the point in taking a chance with old tyres.
Got me thinking though, brakes still have old blocks in them but still stop ok.

chrisv40":3cqjy4zv said:
The last time I used retro tyres was a couple of years ago on one of the North Yorkshire Moors ride, my nice original Saracen came with a pair of what I thought were good condition Ritchey Z Max's on it.

Unfortunately out in the middle of nowhere the side walls decided enough was enough and I had the inner tube popping out like balloons on both wheels. Some expert bodging with choccy bar wrappers and gaffer tape let me finish the ride albeit very slowly.

None of my bikes have old tyres on now I'm afraid, no point really either considering Charge Splashbacks are currently £10 each posted.

Where from?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
No comparison should be made with car/ motorbike tyres. You are never going to be doing 70mph down the M6 on a Zaskar

So far I've had mixed results, had a pair of Panaracers that just kept flatting :facepalm: I think due to being a bit brittle with age, Got a set of Scratch/Sniffs on my Kona and so far so good :D , but both were pretty supple so seem to be in good nick, Got an Onza Dan on another bike that is supple but the tyre seems to be splitting around the sidewall knobs.... which in interesting.... :facepalm:

I think basically if the tyres are supple split free and have been well stored they will be fine, however if they are a bit stiff/brittle/flaky/cracked forget it.

Saw loads of Charge splashbacks being used at the recent Peaks meet and heard lots of people saying how shite they were...

Ive often thought about buying a bottle of latex and curing agent and relining the inside of of an olde worlde tyre. It would have to be extremely well cleaned first and would more than likely be a total waste of money and a horrible stinking mess but who knows, it may keep an old rubber hoop rolling. If not I suppose whats left could be used to make a Cynthia style rubber willy casting for the missus's birthday or something.

legrandefromage":lkpsd7xr said:
No comparison should be made with car/ motorbike tyres. You are never going to be doing 70mph down the M6 on a Zaskar

Yeah but good luck when you have a tyre shred itself on the street as a bus passes by...

Yes bikes are unlikely to do 70mph but that is why bike tyres are not rated for 70mph travel...car tyres are.

legrandefromage":yk5qo1fe said:
Saw loads of Charge splashbacks being used at the recent Peaks meet and heard lots of people saying how shite they were...

They're a fast rolling tyre for dry/hard conditions.

Back