27" wheels and modern brakes?

MADB

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
So I'm thinking about fitting modern brake calipers with old leavers and on a bike with 27" wheels.

I know nothing of this sort of set up so any help with what I need to know and look out for would be great.

Cheers Brian.

The two things you'll need to look out for are reach, and the type of bolt hole. Make sure the brakes you buy aren't the "recessed" type, unless you want to take a drill to your bike!

Reach is measured from the middle of the bolt hole, to the middle of the braking surface on the rim. Or if your brakes that are on there right now are weinmann, it's the model name stamped on it. So Weinmann 500 would be 50mm or 5cm.

Sounds about right. They're adjustable, I bought a pair once for example, could do between 50mm and 70mm

Just to be sure, we're talking about side pulls right?

Yep, side pull quick release dual pivot all that modern stuff.

Any recommendations for reasonable price?

tektros are about £25-30ish on ebay but come with crap blocks... kool stop blocks are great (so I've heard) but they're £10-15.

If the rims are steel, braking won't be brilliant in the rain. I've heard leather blocks work much better, but no experience with it.

What about the leavers and side pull brakes can you mix and match these, or do you side pull leavers to go with the calipers?

You need to know the brake "drop" , ie the distance in mm from the brake caliper mounting hole to the brake track on the rim,
say 570 mm for example, this will allow you to buy a caliper that fits OK.

MADB":3th6xw6y said:
What about the leavers and side pull brakes can you mix and match these, or do you side pull leavers to go with the calipers?

I thought you said the bike already had sidepull brakes?

Back