Marin ti & Kona ti return for 07

Yeah, I get where you're coming from. Just thought that despise was rather a strong word for something as innocuous as a bike frame. It's a word I hope I wouldn't use when describing a popular frame as I wouldn't want to upset anyone who owns one (I own two! ;) ). Doesn't mean that I don't think it about certain frames though!

Obviously when it comes to what we like/dislike we all differ to varying degrees, as scant says it's the blond/brunette thing.

I guess the ti Konas were of similar geometry to the steel so would therefore look the same but would feel slightly different due to the material used?

:)

I've ridden konas & vastly prefered the king kahunna & heihei. not a snob thing, they just felt more resilient, classic ti trait :) modern day konas arent too bad as they famously copied the turner design years ago (which is no bad thing)

I've never loved long headtubes regardless of bike, just puts the bars higher than I'd ever want them to be! but as I now seem to be famous for, blondes & brunettes ;) :LOL:

wide front tyre, narrow rear tyre is moto-x thing from donkey years ago!

kona definately did well in the marketing department. made in taiwan, with hawaii originated names but established a east canada rep.

"wide front tyre, narrow rear tyre is moto-x thing from donkey years ago! "

But not adopted by the MTB community for a long time. Most other manufacturers were running same size tyres for all of their models...

jez-2-many-bikes":2wp0luvy said:
"wide front tyre, narrow rear tyre is moto-x thing from donkey years ago! "

But not adopted by the MTB community for a long time. Most other manufacturers were running same size tyres for all of their models...

really? Sorry I meant to add that its not a new idea....manufacturers maybe but individual riders had also been doing it for years!

scant":1h4p6v2z said:
kona definately did well in the marketing department. made in taiwan, with hawaii originated names but established a east canada rep.

My two Kona's were handbuilt in the US.

stevek":20nenf5x said:
scant":20nenf5x said:

My two Kona's were handbuilt in the US.

okay, fair enuff! ;) but generally most konas were made in taiwan. not aimed as a critism, just demonstrating the power of marketing! look at specialized, only a special few (relative to how many are made total!)were actually made in morgan hill, still famous as a US brand tho.

Most big US brands (excepting most of the more boutique end of the market) generally had the bulk of their range manufactured in the Far East with a few select (i.e. high end frames) made in the US. I think most people would realise that whilst, say GT, were a US brand most of their frames were made in the Far East.

Giant makes most of the Specialized , Trek , Konas frames . Maybe even more .

that is why they were allowed to use the Horst link without paying anything to specialized .

steve peat could win on a huffy ;)

...& lets not turn this thread into a blonde A is better than brunette B shouting match ;) :LOL: :LOL:

Back