Mike Muz

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Bontrager Fan
Feedback
View
Hi folks ,
I was wondering if any of you have built your own frame , as I am interested in doing a course in it . Interested in building my own , either lugged or fillet brazed . Show me pics of your wares :shock: and advise me on your experiences -good or bad- on the courses you have done . Thank you ,
Mike :cool:

I made one out of bamboo in my back garden.

The welder was broken though, so when I welded the lugs to the head tube I ended up pushing it sideways and the head tube ended up wonky.

I have experience in & around a frameshop.

If you can braze then thats the easy part, most of the work imo - certainly as an amateur is the jigging, ie holding the tubing in place to perform the brazing. After that, you need to establish a method or process in which it will all go together. Most of the builders I observed would start with the seat tube to b/b shell, then the headtube onto the top tube, create the fr triangle & then attach the dropouts to the chainstays (parallel), then braze them to the b/b shell & obviously finalise the rear triangle. Then all the braze ons.

There isnt necessarily a right or wrong way, just a way that suits you & gets you to a point where it's a finished rideable/strong structure. There are many self-taught builders out there now with excellent reputations all making a name for their individuality & unique approach to design/finishing.

Buy a sheet of A1 grid paper for a 1:1 full scale plan drawing of your frame.

i have built a few.
http://omsbikes.yolasite.com/process.php

Danson has probably done more. If you don't weld or braze i suggest you get some direction. i did a stack of night school to get half descent. or bike building courses from the academy, swallow bikes. or yates or curtis etc.

If you PM me you email i can send you the frame building manual.it also is always worth working from a full size drawing/ design. rattle cad is a free software package , so you can print a full size drawing.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/rattlec ... rce=navbar.

Maybe we should have a fabrication section for frame builds. all the cnc work people were design a special repairs.

Cheers
Pete

Back