Mountain Biking Footwear.

My first mtb shoes BITD were Lake , anyone heard of them ? Really comfortable but not stiff soled . Treated myself to some Sidi Dominators as summer shoes . Lasted around 6 months before soles came away ! Were better after being introduced to Mr Araldite ! :evil:

nausea":2jx5j8po said:
Just got a pair of these a few months ago...

shimano-mt91-gore-tex-spd-mtb-boots_zpscdcc2690.jpg

Shimano MT91's.

I LOVE these. They were pretty dear at around £130 but as far as I can tell, these are the only truly walkable cleated Goretex hiking boots around. Essential for me as there is often a fair bit of walking/carrying the bike involved when I go out so I don't have to worry about wet feet or cleats crunching against rocks too much anymore. Much more ankle support/protection than my old shoes too. If they ever wear out I'll be getting the exact same boots to replace them!

I got some of those last year ( a roady shop in Harrogate did them at about £85).
not quite as warm as I hoped but other than that well happy, I bought 2 sizes (metric) too big so I could fit in some thick socks and the fit is spot on , seem pretty waterproof and I used them all last winter and spring.
Matthew

Oh and it the drier weather Shimano MT33 with a very similar sole , I ride clipped in but as has been stated previously sometime you've just got to walk (especially if you go out with Vern !) so a good grip is important. Only downside I find with the Shim shoes is I have to trim the grip a bit on the sole to give suitable clearance for my pedals (Time) but it's only a 5 min job once with a stanley knife when you first get them.
Matthew

Matthews":36wu2h2n said:
nausea":36wu2h2n said:
Just got a pair of these a few months ago...

shimano-mt91-gore-tex-spd-mtb-boots_zpscdcc2690.jpg

Shimano MT91's.

I LOVE these. They were pretty dear at around £130 but as far as I can tell, these are the only truly walkable cleated Goretex hiking boots around. Essential for me as there is often a fair bit of walking/carrying the bike involved when I go out so I don't have to worry about wet feet or cleats crunching against rocks too much anymore. Much more ankle support/protection than my old shoes too. If they ever wear out I'll be getting the exact same boots to replace them!

I got some of those last year ( a roady shop in Harrogate did them at about £85).
not quite as warm as I hoped but other than that well happy, I bought 2 sizes (metric) too big so I could fit in some thick socks and the fit is spot on , seem pretty waterproof and I used them all last winter and spring.
Matthew

The Shimanos are great. Have used them now on several bike-packing trips in Scandinavia and for regular srping, summer and summer riding. They're not that warm in winter. When the temperatures start dropping I use these: http://45nrth.com/products/softgoods/wolvhammer They're bloody expensive, but even at 6 to 8 hour rides in sub-zero temps they keep your toes nice and toasty :xmas-big-grin:

Giel

The quality of a gentleman is clear from the quality of his shoes and I'm concerned that so many on this thread need assistance with their footwear choices. The following is but a brief primer but I can elaborate if anyone wishes.

As with most footwear, if you want quality then you should think Italian (and I ain't thinking no Gucci slingbacks). And if you think Italian cycling shoes then there is only one name on the shortlist - Sidi. The model doesn't really matter but ratchets are preferred. Dominators sound more butch plus more camp than Eagles or Dragons so may as well go with those.

But, you can still get it wrong even though you have selected the right shoes; it's all about how you wear them. With attire, it's about the look and about the attitude. The first is simple - blindingly white socks worn beneath the ankle bone (but, crucially, not so low that you look like a female tennis player) and the ratchet cranked up as tight as you can bear and then two extra clicks (if you can feel your toes after 10 minutes you know that at least a further click is required). The attitide is also pretty straightforward - two parts insolent, three parts diffident and a single part enigmatic is a start. We haven't covered shoe fit so might as well - as tight as you can manage with toe nails trimmed deep into the quick (as an aside, I take a 46 - did I mention that you should always refer to shoe size in EU rather than UK? - but have a pair of Puma Suede in dark purple and pink in 43 that are so pretty that I wear them even if they leave me walking as if my feet have been bound in 10th century China).

So there you go - Sidis and white ankle socks with a side of 'tude will have you as well turned out and alluring as Violante Placido.

You're welcome.

Thanks Ed , Looking at Sidis again now despite my previous Dominators falling apart :facepalm: Although I'm looking into both Scott and Lake shoes too . Not literally , I'm not THAT way inclined ! Mike

Mavic Rush. You can pick them up for about £80, I think the list price is around £100.

Very comfortable but definitely not waterproof in anyway so really a summer shoe. Buy the white ones for extra tart factor (I did)

mavic-rush-razor-mtb-shoe.jpg

Here are my shoes:

Make. Sidi
Model. Dominator
Price. about £120
Comments and general feedback.
Excellent MTB shoes. I have tried to wear them out, but I can't.
Five Stars

Make. Sidi
Model. Dominator II
Price. about £160
Only used once and they were better than the Dominators and have studs for the front. I vowed not to use these until the others wear out, so they still haven really been used.
Five Stars

Make. Sidi
Model. Winter Boots
Price. £60 I think
Okay, but I did get wet feet if I didn't treat them, as I naively expected them to be waterproof. With goretex socks they were fine, but a pain in the bum to have to lace up, then velcro the tops and sides, which is why I tend not to use these, even in winter.
Three Stars

I did have a pair of Specialized summer shoes in brown/green mesh, but they crippled me due to the narrow fitting. Once I got the Dominators, I sold them.

Attachments

• DSCF1700.JPG
    DSCF1700.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 252
  • DSCF1701.JPG
    DSCF1701.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 252
  • DSCF1702.JPG
    DSCF1702.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 252
Back