Winter Chest Protectors?

I just got a craft base layer in the Evans sale with a wind stopper front and shoulders. Should be just the ticket under a winter top.

47p2":3oxh7byb said:
glpinxit":3oxh7byb said:
down to minus 2.

That's our summer temperatures up here :shock:

As I mainly ride solo I'm on the rollers if colder. I seldom go out later than 8:30 and usually ride alone so ice is a real risk (and people are good at warning of it hereabouts - if they are out). Worst ride last winter was 35m in -2 with snow of varying degrees throughout.
The wind proof layer is North Wav. It is food (gels and energy drink) that keep me from becoming chilled.

A wind-proof gilet in the coldest (rideable) weather over a longsleeve training top and long sleeve merino or Helly Hansen vest. In Autumn/Spring I use an old paper bag (preferably brown because it seems to last longer) tucked into the bib of my shorts. I've also used bubble wrap and that very thin 'foamy' stuff used for packaging.

If it's very cold - I don't go out!

I use a square of Tyvek housewrap inside my jersey. It's windproof, waterproof, will not tear or get soggy, weighs about an ounce and you can fold it up and put in in your jersey pocket. I pull it out on long climbs and put it back in for downhills. Here in the US they wrap houses in the stuff to keep out the cold wind. I just ask the builder to save me the part that they cut out for the windows and then cut it to size to fit my chest. I also take the smaller bits to put in my shoes as toe warmers. I have since found that FedEx and the US postal service use this for mailing envelopes that you can get for FREE!

If you have an assos windbloc jacket then there is no problem to solve ... the bloc the wind ...

Back