1995 Kona Kilauea ;P

mamadirt

Kona Fan
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Been a crazy couple of months trying to find another keeper retro project - first there was the little Hardrock, then the tiny Timberline but I'm pretty sure the Konaphile in me has found something to hang on to. Kona build No 25 :oops: will be a bit of a tribute to my old '96 Cinder Cone and '98 Muni Mula.

Massive thanks to Chris (dablk) for the frame and forks and to And (Archemist) for the black LX kit :D

p4pb10117334.jpg

The frame was in nowhere near the tortured condition of some I've owned and after a therapeutic day spent retouching, I reckon looks pretty good.

p4pb10120242.jpg

Still need to get hold of a Sharpie to reconstruct the driveside Kilauea decal (I know I can get hold of replacements but want to try to keep it as original as possible. I'm sure I can get hold of the correct P2 fork decals from Gil on here too.

Build will be cantis with SS5 levers (loved those rubber-dipped levers on my Cinder Cone). I have a '94 Velocity stem (so silver not bronze but will be fine for now), black rear LX mech and cranks and 7 speed wheelset from the little Hardrock. Planning a 1x7 build (my main rides are a short travel f/s singlespeed and 1 x 10 DH bike so too many gears confuse me :LOL: ) and I usually run a DH style roller for chain retention duties but wanted something a little less obvious for the Kila.

p4pb10117377.jpg

Think I'm going to need to swap out the clamp for a 31.8 due to the butted seat tube but it should work. I've done similar before on builds including the old Explosif but wanted something a little less DH this time - fingers crossed I can get it aligned correctly.

Tomorrow is build day so hopefully it will be up and running for Monday's commute :p

Oooooh, I need those brakes :cool: . Mine are just generic silver cantis but those would look sooooo much better.

The P2s are more bronze than gold (standard 1995 colour) but do look good. Need to sort out a matching stem once funds allow. Damn, thought I was sorted but my wishlist is getting longer by the minute :oops:

Must set the alarm early for tomorrow . . . let the build begin :p

Work in progress . . .

p4pb10124319.jpg

The difference between the stem/fork colour is not nearly so noticeable now it's assembled. That is one long-ass stem though - good job I have long arms :LOL:

Nearly there . . . #slowestbuildever

p4pb10129508.jpg

Failed miserably with my quest for a minimalist chain guide - the butted seat tube meant that in order to use my little guide it would need to sit right on the oval graduation between the butted area and the main part of the seat tube - no worries, my old faithful fix of a DH roller and DMR hinged clamp has done the job once again without looking too intrusive. Just the brakes to sort now and we're good to go!

Lovely as always Lynne, isn't that a little bigger than your usual steeds?

raidan73":2qrednr6 said:

There's nothing wrong with a lady riding in heels ya know ;)

Getting seriously cool - those cranks look swell :cool:

You think that's slow - after a year and a half I've now mounted the FD on the MF!

(has the order gone in to CRC yet? :LOL: )

Archemist":b69jxwka said:
raidan73":b69jxwka said:

Now there's an idea :LOL: . I always rode a 16" frame back in the day but there have been many tiny builds since - reckon I've shrunk since the 90s - very little seatpost showing on this one :oops: . Pretty similar length-wise to my other bikes though (couple of Coves) so barring the lack of standover clearance it should feel pretty good.

Almost done now - cheap cantis are a freakin' nightmare to set up aren't they? So far resisting the CRC LX jobbies. Fingers crossed for tomorrow's commute.

mamadirt":2ei189g6 said:
Archemist":2ei189g6 said:
raidan73":2ei189g6 said:

Now there's an idea :LOL: . I always rode a 16" frame back in the day but there have been many tiny builds since - reckon I've shrunk since the 90s - very little seatpost showing on this one :oops: . Pretty similar length-wise to my other bikes though (couple of Coves) so barring the lack of standover clearance it should feel pretty good.

Almost done now - cheap cantis are a freakin' nightmare to set up aren't they? So far resisting the CRC LX jobbies. Fingers crossed for tomorrow's commute.

Adjusting canti's in stiletto's is never an idea.

TBH I don't find riding in them tricky but it's bl**dy hard getting the clips fitted :?

(i will not lower the tone nor contaminate your thread again :facepalm: )

Back