Bike storage

I use something similar, but just big cheap hooks screwed into a plate on the wall. I hang the hardtail 'forks down' to stop lube pooling on the seals.
It works well, been storing bikes like that for 15 years or so.
Don't hang bikes up wet, or water can run back down the inside of the steerer tube into the headset top race from the inside...guess how I know that...

unkleGsif":2d17juj4 said:
I always thought susp forks should point down, to avoid any lube running out past the seals

G

Not all forks. In fact some manufacturers recommend that their forks are stored upside down to keep the seals lubed. Fox 40s spring to mind, and my Pace RC40s always worked better when I kept the bike stored on it's back rather than the right way up.

A few years back I was living in a small rental apartment, so I did not want to drill into the walls or damage anything, the solution a hanglider wing tube and to hang the bikes a strap with a carabiner at the end, work really well specially since you can slide the straps to make more room.
bala%20030-L.jpg

Today things are a little different and I have way more bikes, on the new house I still did not want to compromise the house so I build a free standing wall with a structure to hang the bikes from.
Cara%20%26%20Lauren%20at%20the%20beach%20009-M.jpg

Only regret is not to have the ability to slide the hocks to make more room, but at the end is not a big deal.
photo-XL.jpg

highlandsflyer":19jmlprj said:
I reckon Wynne could knock you up something quirky that would function as wall art as well as cycle racking. I prefer to hang mine horizontally myself.

Wynne? I'm able to allocate a wall 2.4m long, 8ft high, I can imagine an angled rack that stores one bike above another, I don't want to lose a whole bike length of floor space in front of the wall. What with two GT's, two slightly odd full sus frames, hanging them from the top tube is not a viable solution for most.

gtRTSdh":1a8yjs3l said:
Archemist":1a8yjs3l said:
The listing implies that they would actually 'hang; (as in off one wheel) wouldn't lowering the mount so the rear wheel sat on the floor (or vice versa) take nearly all the weight off the mount!?

Thanks for the lecture, I didn't build the wall and I've no reason to expect a great job either.. I've thought of setting the back wheel down, but I expect it's the weight of the bike hanging that keeps it secure / straight, what do you think?

Sorry if I came across as a bit of an a*se - it's only because I've seen so many botch jobs that you wouldn't believe and so I tend to be over cautious.

I've seen a plasma bring a stud wall down, well actually it was about 30' from the vertical (mind that had no fixings in the top rail whatsoever) :shock:

I've seen the c.70' to vertical and on the back wheel work and it's what I'm going to have to do - so will be experimenting in the next few weeks :roll:

Archemist":1j5m5ori said:
gtRTSdh":1j5m5ori said:
Archemist":1j5m5ori said:
The listing implies that they would actually 'hang; (as in off one wheel) wouldn't lowering the mount so the rear wheel sat on the floor (or vice versa) take nearly all the weight off the mount!?

Thanks for the lecture, I didn't build the wall and I've no reason to expect a great job either.. I've thought of setting the back wheel down, but I expect it's the weight of the bike hanging that keeps it secure / straight, what do you think?

Sorry if I came across as a bit of an a*se - it's only because I've seen so many botch jobs that you wouldn't believe and so I tend to be over cautious.

I've seen a plasma bring a stud wall down, well actually it was about 30' from the vertical (mind that had no fixings in the top rail whatsoever) :shock:

I've seen the c.70' to vertical and on the back wheel work and it's what I'm going to have to do - so will be experimenting in the next few weeks :roll:

No, I'm not a builder/carpenter, appreciated.

So I've hung the bieks on the wall, it's very successful, the bikes are spaced at 30cm intervals for efficiency. There are two different types of hangers available, 1) is all welded as I've used, the other is hinged, which I didn't like and replaced with the welded ones.

This is the link to the welded ones, ebay seller: buksterdeals

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151089572419? ... 1439.l2649

20140309_171346_zps3e10e50c.jpg

20140309_171438_zps42d06b25.jpg

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I hang mine like that, but where some forks like it I am sure it caused the damper unit in my RS Recon Race forks to fail, so be careful with any RS forks, my Z2 Atom Marzocchis seem fine being hung (forks down).

Carl.

Hmm, ok I'll turn the Mrs' bike the other way then, bit of a shame as they're more stable when hung from the front wheel.

Back