Random Photo Thread

Well I've done the Tak-Ma-Doon/Crow Road circle and it wasn't as bad as I expected but it wasn't as easy as I would have liked it to be

Glasgow to Kilsyth, along the Tak-Ma-Doon Road to Fintry and onto Crow Road and over the Campsie Hills, a quick visit to Big Al at Wheelcraft and a short stop at my mother-in-laws in Milngavie before heading home

Total of 56.2 miles with an elevation of 3743 feet...That.s a lot of climbing for an old geezer like me that's just getting back into cycling

This was the anticlockwise route
3743ft562m.png

With plenty CAT 3 & Cat 4 climbs, this is the Tak-Ma-Doon climbs
CAT3amp4Tak-Ma-Doon.png

Today's forecast said a 20% chance of rain and it didn't disappoint...
While I was in the Campsies I was cycling amongst the clouds, it was cool and damp, but the worst was leaving Glasgow heading home, I turned along the River Clyde and the heavens opened up, by the time I arrived home I was rather soggy :(

Great fun all the same :LOL: :LOL:

that's a terrific effort and made me laugh as i've never heard that run described as "...along the Tak-Ma-Doon Road" before!! it's usually "grovelled up" or "crept up" etc etc!! :shock:

anyway, well done and hope to get a run with you at some point soon.

cheers!

craig

It wasn't as bad as I was expecting Craig although I was struggling to get traction on the back wheel at one point and had to transfer my weight a little further back to allow the wheel to grip.

The shocking part was once over the top and rattling down the other side at around 38mph and in the distance I saw what I thought was some water at the bottom where the road starts on the incline again.

Do I need to slow down? (I'm doing 38mph and don't want to)
It's only some runoff from the fields, I'll keep the speed up and get up the other side a darned sight quicker and easier
Sheet...that doesn't look quite right maybe I should be applying the braaaaaakkkkeeeesss

I decided at the last minute to slam on the anchors as something looked wrong with this water crossing the road, just as well as it was a ford made up with all sorts of cobbles and stones and was so uneven and sippery I almost went on my neck walking over it. I can just imagine the damage that would have caused if I had hit it at 40+mph

While the climb from Lochranza towards Sannox on Arran is a leg beater, the Ross from Lamlash end kicks its butt for sheer agony. The descent from Lochranza to Sannox is magic, but the road conditions towards Lochranza are horrible and restrict a good 50+mph descent to a crawling 20ish.

Img_0056.jpg on page 2 is White Loch on the B769 heading towards Newton Mearns from Stewarton. That's my commute to work. 10 miles up, 10 miles down.

BigFoz":3iba70sp said:
Img_0056.jpg on page 2 is White Loch on the B769 heading towards Newton Mearns from Stewarton. That's my commute to work. 10 miles up, 10 miles down.

You can't be too far from me then

rusty bodie":i4ddi0m7 said:
i don't know if you've done the tak before or not but it's wayyy easier from the stirling
side than the kilsyth side, which is quite brutal towards the top. :shock:
i can't say i blame you for taking the "jessie" bike instead!! i'm going to look for one for myself as the winter is looming and don't want to waste my battered old eddy merckx to the council's salting programme when it inevitably strikes!

:roll:

Well I have to agree with you Craig, I tackled the Tak Ma Doon Road from the Stirling side today (now cycled it in both directions) and it was a bit of a doddle on the single speed, not sure I will be saying that when I go S/S from the Kilsyth side though

Just in after a nice wee 53 mile loop with 3875 feet of elevation on the single speed. Glasgow up the Crow Road over the Campsies and down the Tak Ma Doon Road, this gives me a weekly of 120 miles with 8000 feet of elevation all on the S/S

photo-1.jpg

photo-2.jpg

crowtak49.png

crowtak40.png

Back