Steel cyclocross frame advice

marge602

Retro Guru
Hi folks. I've recently split and sold the frame and fork from my Cannondale CAAD 8, and now have a load of parts that need a frame and fork. I'm 100% sure I want a steel frame, and have wanted a cx bike since I first rode one ten years ago. I have around £250 to spend, but could stretch the budget a bit. I'd quite like something new, but would consider used too. Can anyone recommend something that would suit my needs?

Regards

Marge

The Uncle John does look very good value but isn't it aluminium?

Although there are loads of boutique steel cyclocross framesets (at boutique prices!), there aren't too many steel off the peg specific cyclocross frames within budget. Something like the Surly Crosscheck would fit the bill although it's a touch over your budget but I'm sure a very good condition one could be found within price range.

But what about NOS old school ones? Ok, it's sold and may not have been the right size but a Gazelle Cross Trophy like http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gazelle-Cyclo ... 7675.l2557 would be very cool with barend shifters and likely within budget.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Planet x Uncle John is ally but the Kaffenback is steel. Thing is they are now disc brake only. the older ones were nice. Mine is sitting part built at the moment.
Planet x do have some Italian steel frames and I think there is a cross bike amongst them. worth a look .

Thanks for all the advice. I've decided it's between the Kaffenback(the swap out version is compatible with discs and canti's), the Cross Check and the new Cotic Roadrat. However, it's the cycle show next weekend, so will have a look round there before I decide, cos there could be some show bargains to be had.

Regards

Marge

Two stand-out steel CX frames, if you can get them, as both are rare on the 2nd hand market:

1) Raleigh Special Products in Reynolds 853 - pretty much the same frameset that Louise Robinson won a silver World's CX medal on (2000 IIRC).
2) Fort Foco (Columbus tubing) - I've owned one since early 2005, lovely frame and still going strong.

David

SWijland":17fcd47z said:
Just remembered Charge and Genesis also do nice and cheap CX frames in steel.

Genesis are also about to do a not-so-cheap version of the Croix de Fer frameset for 2014 in Reynolds 953 stainless steel tubing. Looks good from the sneak previews I've seen on t'internet.

David

David B":16dyaq2n said:
Two stand-out steel CX frames, if you can get them, as both are rare on the 2nd hand market:

1) Raleigh Special Products in Reynolds 853 - pretty much the same frameset that Louise Robinson won a silver World's CX medal on (2000 IIRC).
2) Fort Foco (Columbus tubing) - I've owned one since early 2005, lovely frame and still going strong.

David

I've seen a few of number one come up recently for very reasonable money indeed, so that's promising!

Personally I love the older cross frames; for this season I'm hoping to have a Sirius 753 built up - identical to the frame Roger Hammond won the '92 U23 World Champs on... :cool:

They are a different breed to the current 'do it all' type cross bikes which are basically steady touring frames in my (bitchy) opinion ;) eyelets and bottle bosses on a 'cross frame, I ask you... :roll:

:LOL:

Latest posts

Back