The next 'Big Thing' in ATB's

Mindmap3":1aefgvsh said:
my next bug bear. We had got to a point where most people were happy with QR or 20mm on longer travel forks. Then Fox and Shimano decide we need a middle option. We didn't but it seems to have been adopted and is finding its way on longer travel forks.

That's starting to anoy me as well, luckily modern Hope hubs can be converted but I now have 5 different rear axles in my bits box and two bespoke axles on my bikes, might have to make some wind chimes from the spares :)

This big money marketing of 'new' ideas in bikes is why I ride steel; rigid and single speed.
Don't believe the hype :!:

Here's my 'next big thing':
kGFN8cml.jpg

Custom titanium 29er plus running a 440mm Pace RC31 fork to keep the front end low and tight - took it for a 60km blast yesterday, awesome grip on climbs, rails the turns and rocks the downhill - I can run the 3" tyres as low as 10-12psi which gives me some nice cush.

I assume that front tyre grips like shit to a blanket. Are you sure those Pace forks can handle the torque? They're not very butch,...
It is fecking Ace though!

Looks like a very nice custom built fat bike! :cool:

Are those rims narrower than those usually fitted to fat bikes?

As for the next 'Big Thing' in ATBs? Maybe anti-lock brakes, traction control systems or cycle helmets that can protect against brain damage?

dyna-ti":31svgwb9 said:
Tazio":31svgwb9 said:
The toe overlap looks terrifying.

You just know a turn is going to go horribly wrong. :LOL:

No toe overlap. As it was custom, I know exactly what front centre distance I needed. No problems with the Pace fork either - I'm only 60kg, so not exactly putting huge loads on it, besides, the fat tyres insulate most of the hits.

GrahamJohnWallace":2cers8vg said:
Looks like a very nice custom built fat bike! :cool:

Are those rims narrower than those usually fitted to fat bikes?

As for the next 'Big Thing' in ATBs? Maybe anti-lock brakes, traction control systems or cycle helmets that can protect against brain damage?

Thanks for all of your input, as I thought the responses could be described as a ' Wish List' and all fall within 'Evolution'
Anyone fancy the idea of compiling a 'Wish List' to reflect
Weaknesses, Modifications and Developments of existing products and components that we as end-users can see the benefits of improvement

The list could be voted on, by members, and a top twenty ideas compiled for discussion. Any members have a route to companies that might have the resources and enthusiasm to consider some of the ideas for inclusion in R&D ?

Maybe the 'Next Big Thing' will be that the industry develops a culture of listening to cyclists and utilises quality feedback as the basis for identifying all of us as stakeholders.
Oh hold on, this has all been done . . . .

Back