Is A Pro-Flex 856 Worth Restoring?

IGOTTASEROTTA

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I am in the middle of restoring a Pro-Flex 856 but I don't have the Girven shock so I purchased a NOS Rock Shox Triple Crown Judy XLR and I was thinking about replacing the rear rubber bushings with a NOS Rock Shox DLX TRUNION I have collecting dust. The bike won't have many/most of the original components but the component's (upper middle end to high end) that I'll be using will be 75 to 85 percent period NOS.

Can some one let me know (I realize it's early for me asking this and without having pictures to view) if it will hurt the value of the completed Pro-Flex without using the components that came on the bike when new?

It will be in show room condition after I am done with it so with that in mind will this also help you guys?

Lastly, what's the demand for these bikes or will I spend more to get it to look brand new then the bike's worth/resale value?

I can't say I've ever built a bike up with a resale value in mind and honestly the only way to recoup the money you spend on a build is to split the bike and sell the components individually in my experience.

If you have bought wisely then the components you have should get you your money back should you wish to sell in the future.

Proflex's are lovely bikes but don't fetch a huge amount and no matter how nice a build you do originality will always win through come sale time.

In short build it, enjoy it, look after it and then when you decide its time to part company split it down and sell everything off separately.

I think your suggestions and comments are dead on. I really appreciate your comment in regards to the bike being in mint condition. I have had other vintage projects that turned out in mint condition and what I thought was a fair price for it was way above what people were willing to spend. People who have vintage rebuilds that turn out super nice usually add a sentimental value to the asking price and I think that's why you see fantastic bikes not selling at their price unless the bike is rare or you find some one that has to have it at any cost. I guess that's what I have to hope for when it comes time to put the bike up for sale.

Great advice and suggestions, I thank you for that. You're a good dude!

But I still would like to have as many people as possible lend their knowledge to my little question.

Any bike is worth restoring really, though if you are doing it to resell, then unless it is a rare beast and you can buy low and sell high, it isn't worth it, as parts will generally sell for more than a complete build.

Proflex bikes don't sell for high prices so if you aren't going to keep and cherish it, I wouldn't bother with the rebuild, but sell the parts you have individually.

I'm in two minds how to sell my gator fade Klein rascal. I paid good money for the whole bike so know what it cost me, and in theory what its worth, but splitting it would get me more, but is it worth the effort splitting??

If you decide to sell the rear shock, I'd be interested for my sts though.

Thank you for another great response to my question. I purchased the frame for $35.00 US and I will be repainting it myself and the NOS Judy triple crown fork I purchased for $65.00 US and I have an ability to find period NOS components on the cheap but it does take a lot of my time doing so. I enjoy searching the net for hard to find NOS parts. By doing a lot of searching I am able to keep my costs down and profits up. I have never owned a full suspension bike and the Pro-Flex is a small sized 19" frame and I am 5'8" so the bike might be too large for me. I really enjoy restoring vintage bikes and selling them because I like getting either an email or phone call from the new owner and hearing how excited they are when they get their first look at it out of the box or after their first ride. It's such a great felling that I made some one's day. Here is a link to show you what I do..

http://project-serotta-t-max.blogspot.com/

I generally like to source bikes that need little in the way of restoration however if something gets my attention?

The Kona Explosif I got from the police auction with the damaged seat tube is a prime example because I did only a few small repairs on that frame, far short of a total restore, and still lost money.

The only bike I ever fully restored was a 1969 Cinelli and that was both a labor of love and a solid financial gamble as the bike has a relatively high resell value.

Steven

Re: Is A Pro-Flex 857 Worth Restoring?

http://projectpro-flex857.blogspot.com/

PLEASE VISIT MY PROJECT PAGE. I COULD USE SOME CONSTRUCTIVE HELP
!

hi
i'm a big fan of pro-flex
my first full suspension bike was an 854.
they don't fetch a huge coin. but the right
bike to the right person will get a decent price.
but IMHO a pro-flex isn't a pro-flex without
a girvin vector fork. doesn't look complete.
having said that, i might have one for you if you are interested. :D
how can you tell i'm a used car salesman. kidding and no
offence to all you used car salesman out there. :oops:
roy

Back