A decent pair of retro wheels...or hubs/rims?

PBizzle

Retro Newbie
I'm trying to get a retro 26" wheelset together for my Cannondale M800 build and eBay is drawing blanks. If my youth is anything to go by then I suppose most people's wheels got trashed back in the early 2000s?

I'm aiming for Hope or Ringle hubs - preferably in red, blue or gold. Or failing that a set of Deore XTXTRs. All to fit a 7/8 speed cassette. Rim-wise I'm after Mavic 121 SUP CDs or 217s - or anything that's fairly light and will take a beating.

Desperate to avoid buying a new set of wheels, what do you reckon - does decent stuff at a reasonable price tend to turn up eventually?

Thanks, I'll bear those in mind - kind of hankering after the shiny Hope/Ringle stuff as my number one choice though! :)

hi , i'm putting tomorrow for sale a pair of mint of 217 rims

front hub is ringle' black , rear is carbon , italian brand

are in very very good condition

i can take pics tomorrow in the morning

Gianni

What about something entirely different, like say a nice set of Cane Creek Chronos!!

Just so happens I have a superb condition pair of them here and could really do with unloading them since I only bother with 9 speed and my mavic crossmax rim brake wheels are on my klein attitude to stay until the metal fatigue eventually gets it..

They are actually at a mate's house nearby so can't show you a picture or ten until he gets off work later but they are basically pristine and run true as ever and could even sell you my XTR 8 spd cassette also in very good condition to go with them!!

There are a set of them being offered by a usa seller on ebay which are the same but his are silver and mine are black and he's across the water and asking £320 plus taxes for his so basically an arm and part of one thigh after customs has had their say.

What I need money for urgently costs £270 (shimano new 105 gears&brakes and levers)

make me an offer if your keen on having them once you have seen how special they look with their spoke nipples in the centre of the hubs and radial lacings etc. and did I mention how light they are too!!

If not for you then I will have to put an advert on here tonight anyway.

DannyB

Back