Nostalgic Raleigh or forget it and move on...

Don't worry, I'll save the 300g by changing my tyres or maybe going to the toilet before we race.

well, whatever floats your boat, i guess. 501 really was dreadful and the cheap lugs, bb shell etc al added more weight than you could shed on a pre race nervous shite, that's for sure! anyway, as long as you're happy, that's the main thing...

:roll:

:LOL:

Err, what?

The whole bike weighs 25lbs, or 11 and a half kg thereabouts. It's not a heavy bike, and in those days the best racer raleigh even did was 21lb. For comparison It's the same weight as a modern Triban 3, or last years model carrying a water bottle.

But you keep muttering about it being "dreadful" and "gas pipe" without any, you know, facts involved.

................you tell him Bats! I commute over 100 miles a week on a 10.5 kg 501 bike. A couple of weeks ago I did London to Paris on it finishing top 15 and top 10 on the first two days out of 200 riders, admittedly it was no race but you can't help getting competitive! As far as I'm concerned, if it's heavy, that's fine, it's making me stronger!? Each to their own at the end of the day.

fan_of_steel":2gy7xk5b said:
................you tell him Bats! I commute over 100 miles a week on a 10.5 kg 501 bike. A couple of weeks ago I did London to Paris on it finishing top 15 and top 10 on the first two days out of 200 riders, admittedly it was no race but you can't help getting competitive! As far as I'm concerned, if it's heavy, that's fine, it's making me stronger!? Each to their own at the end of the day.

Good for you, London to Paris is something that I have always wanted to do :cool:

And I am not a Reynolds tubing snob BUT I have 531 tubing on my bike - Na na na na na :)

In Summer 1978 I was walking past Keith Lambert's Cycles in Bingley when I noticed a Gold Benotto Paris Roubaix. It was £210 and I didn't have a ha'penny to rub my arse with. I'd just gone 18 so applied for a credit card which was accepted a couple of weeks later with a £200 limit, so off I rock to Lambert's for my first transaction - FAIL, obviously it was rejected but I didn't think they'd be that fussed for a tenner :LOL:

Anyway my nan came to the rescue when I told her my sorry tale, she lent me the money and I rode it away the next day. I too was later seduced by the mountain bike 'fad' and flogged it to a mate cheap in the mid 80's.

So here I am in 2013 still scanning the classified and ebay in case one comes around that's the right size, you're definitely not alone in wanting to wind the clock back, buy one, you know it makes sense.

Attachments

• 234_29102074808_2916_n.jpg
    234_29102074808_2916_n.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 141
I actually just got a record sprint in the post today, everything except the handlebar tape is original, including the dirt and muck hiding the gold plated cogs and chain.

Rides like a bloody dream.

Bats":jb85o54q said:
I actually just got a record sprint in the post today, everything except the handlebar tape is original, including the dirt and muck hiding the gold plated cogs and chain.

Rides like a bloody dream.

PICS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Back