1989 Raleigh Banana Team Bike - Dave Rayner

citrixccea":ro5uazlb said:
ColnagoC59":ro5uazlb said:
citrixccea":ro5uazlb said:
Looking at the pic above, got me thinking, what sort of bike bottle was used by the team back in '89 - they seem to be just plain simple black ones, does anyone know any more details about the 'right' bottle. I did add a cage in 91 which colour matches the original.

I did have one from the team, I was given it by a mechanic at a Milk Race stage finish when I was a kid after asking for some team stickers they where handing out. Will dig though all my old stuff you may be lucky, as I dont remember throwing it out.

Cracking story, and I'll wait patiently! What colour is it/was it?

I've never been given anything that cool, although a mechanic at the Kelloggs in Newcastle around '93 showed me to toe-in my delta's so they didn't squeal as much! I was very grateful!

So far have not been able to find the bidon but will keep looking. It was / is black exactly from the time of your bike, I can remember the make but was not the same as your usual TA or Elite. I may be wrong but seem to remember being able to buy one to go with the replica team bikes as the time

Thanks for looking, I appreciate your efforts.

The pics look like a simple old school black bidon, I'll keep an eye out for something fitting. If I remember correctly the standard bikes had a red cage, rather than the yellow of mine.

One more thing for me to work on, so I can get it 'just' right.

Has anyone any advice for tweaking the synchro levers, I thought I wasn't bad at fettling indexed shifters, but these don't seem to want to settle into a happy setup. It's probably accentuated by having a couple of wide ratios - got a working solution with 24-20-17-16-15-14-13, on the back.

Perhaps I could achieve the correct period look, by converting the shifter to friction ?

Perhaps this is heresy, but I don't like them ;-( and it certainly isn't as sweet a shift as the Simplexs

Just brilliant! I'll have a good read very soon. Made me think about Dave and the time I spent with the Rayleigh Banana Team in 1989....Happy memories. On a different tack Here you go , a slight thread invasion to share my results of Maggie's work on my Reydel GTI saddle, the thread link is here viewtopic.php?f=23&t=246927&start=30

Hijack away DoubleDee,

How did Maggie get those graphics done, she was quietly concerned about them when I saw her a few weeks back :)

Love the end result, thanks for your kind words.

Haha! Stephen aka Kettlo produced the artwork from my photo's ( he also did my KAS water bottle artwork too) all from our contact on the forum :). I think the thin white lines made airbrushing from a stencil impossible. She got vinyl stickers made fitted and covered with protector. She really does an amazing job. Kind of wish I had deep pockets and a classic car to restore as that's her real speciality. Great that we both have benifitted here.
Kind regards Darren

Never one to back down from a techie challenge, I've had started over with the syncro lever and rear mech.

I'm not sure I've got it 100% perfect, but I have got it into the 90's, the adjustment screw is very highly geared, and so requires only tiniest amount of tweaking. It seems to be settling down, and less annoying than it was - I did wonder if the levers actually get better with use ?

Let's call it a stay of execution for now, before I chuck the clever bits out, and revert to friction.

Will anyone be attending the Yorkshire Bike Show this Saturday and Sunday (21-22/9/13) ?

It seemed to be the only right and proper place to give the Banana it's first public outing since I (nearly) completed the restoration.

Hoping to get there tomorrow.

I'll be using my bus pass :)

I've mentioned it to several cycling friends and they've known nothing about it so I don't know how well it's been publicised.

Since I posted that, I've discovered that my wife needs my car tomorrow, as hers failed it's MOT, so I'll be riding up ....
to the local station, and letting the train take the strain!

Back