Full suspension retro-bikes - are they worth it.

An RTS is not a headache and rides beautifully, comfort of suspension without horrendous losses. A proflex on the other hand. . .

I love FS and if it´s retro... much better, my retro FS bikes:

Trek 9000... puffff :? much pedal bob, but I like how it looks
GT LTS-SPIN :D very very good
GT STS-1000DS :D idem
Klein Palomino Race... oooooh that´s not retro but rides very well ;)

...and have a Marin Team FRS and a GT STS-DH wating for...

My Conclusion, they worth it

Saudos/Cheers

To answer the original question : Given that a retro will be probably a tenth or less of the original cost of an original bike what is there to lose.

I've never had a full susser, never ridden a GT RTS but I just know I want one.
They look totally cool (as do a lot of early bikes).

With the radical evolution of rear suspension designs and shock technology, it hardly seems worth the effort to keep those old bikes running

It's the same with classic cars, you drive them because they DON'T drive like a new one.

I would love a marin b17 again, or a lts, but I kind of see the point of the original thread. Unless you can get away with a new shock in an old frame, then it makes little sense unless you can afford it or really love a model. So the pro flex shocks for example, hard to come by now, risse will make you a new one for £300. Is that worth it? Not in my opinion. But would never begrudge anyone doing it themselves.

There are definitely some early fs bikes worth restoring and keeping. Iconic ones that show how the evolution occurred... Some good some bad but iconic.

The early manitous come to mind. The ibis bowTi. Some of the gt's and fsr. The amps. There's a lot. Defo worth it.

a few for sure -

I think someone mentioned the ibis bow-ti ... from what I hear they are a unique and fun ride (have one on the list to buy soon !!)
Manitou FS's are pretty cool if you get a non cracked one
Yeti ARC's from back in the day - who wouldn't want one of these
Early Mountain Cycles ride nice for what they were back in the day
I love the old Karpiels (second one back in the pic with multiple bikes)... put a funn launch pad gen one on and it rides like a couch
Trek Y-50 is kind of neat and is a nice light ride from back in the day - rode these a bunch and have no complaints

Did a test this year - a 2013 Trek Session 9.9 vs a 2001 Santa Cruz Super 8 at the Whistler DH Park. The santa cruz rode nice and in my opinion the rake was better setup for whistler FR... the trek was much much faster... long story short, they are worth it if you find the right setup for you and you have it properly maintained

Attachments

• ibis.jpg
    ibis.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 555
  • mults.jpg
    mults.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 555
  • Yeti.jpg
    Yeti.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 555
  • manitus.jpg
    manitus.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 551
  • Super8.jpg
    Super8.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 550
So long as you keep in mind that BITD full sussers were intended for very different terrain to that which people chuck their bikes at today then you won't be disappointed...

We_are_Stevo":296vquqc said:
So long as you keep in mind that BITD full sussers were intended for very different terrain to that which people chuck their bikes at today then you won't be disappointed...

What different terrain? Extra terrestrial?

Back