Full suspension retro-bikes - are they worth it.

dirttorpedo

Senior Retro Guru
I see that some members here are into the early full suspension bikes that came out in the mid 90's. I was looking at a GT RTS that's for sale locally and did a bit of looking around on the site here to see what others were doing. With the radical evolution of rear suspension designs and shock technology, it hardly seems worth the effort to keep those old bikes running. If you took this perspective to its logical conclusion we'd all be running pre-92 fully ridgid rigs - which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. Maybe I'm being a bit of a hypocrite - I can see it worth putting the effort in to rebuild a classic bomber fork for my Zaskar, but I can't see putting in the same effort for an RTS. What say you?

yep. I want a Fisher/Lawwill RS1.

Will it be a decent ride? Ptssshhh. Hell no, but I still want one. Retrobike isn't about function over form...

Think it depends what you like riding, I bought an old 97' Muddyfox full sus bike for £63 on ebay, needed TLC, but there aren't many about and to be fair I enjoy it and find the ride really nice, I used to have a Specialized FSR Stumpjumper XC and hated the ride in comparison and from other peoples opinions the spesh should have been the much better bike. Ive also hired a newer Scott full sus (around 2010, cant remember the model), it rode well but I still preferred my old Muddyfox! Maybe its just that I like my bike? Im not sure. Mine uses a linkage setup that's similar to the Konas of similar age and out of all seems to suit my style of riding and I don't seem to get much pedal bob.

I spent a few years trying to convince other people,and maybe myself?..That full suspension was overkill and had no place on a everyday XC bikes...After my body told me otherwise .neck and back problems had convinced my bike days were over. I bought a '99 Trek VXR from a nice man off here,,Hated it at first and was convinced it had to go,,A short period of readjustment later and I love it..My ridgid bikes have gone to loving homes and I am looking at my Haro Escape as a potential parts donor,,Just had a look at the Muddy Fox Rock N Roll and I want one! or something else from that era..I got back into bikes aged 50 after many years of motorcycles,I learnt so much by riding my ridgid bike,picking lines and having to hoist the the front over obstacles etc, Love the simplicity of the ridgid and the simple and pleasing lines,but no way can I ride them any distance and sleep the same night,,full sus rules here..saving my pennys and looking for another full susser frame..Retro of course!,they have a place for the err more mature rider.without full sus I would just be a spectator on this site instead of being covered in mud and looking like I had just won the lottery and moved in with kylie minogue.
Mark :D

same story here bud, allways said full sussers were a waste of money, allway rode hardtails untill 18 months ago, same thing - back problems etc, brought a 2012 lapirre full suspension and..........sweet jesus why didnt I do it earlyer :oops:

As for retro stuff? i have an RTS and a Specialized Ground Control.......they are just cool :)

The RTS is a great bike in my opinion. Had an rts-2 back in the day (93) and now have a team version. They are a nice ride, look great and will take any parts you care to fit with aplomb. I've had builds with m900, m952 and m970 and various wheels (spins, crossmax, spinergy) and all have looked great and worked well. Take a look at the link in my sig for the latest incarnation of my rts.

If you can get one, I would. The worst that could happen is it appreciates in value.

My MF FS is perfectly adequate for an old duffer like me. Might even ride it at Mayhem next year. Was a lot of dough back in the day though. Picked it up complete for £80. see thread in sig.

As is often the case, an individual bike is not good or bad, but needs getting used to.

There were some interesting and stylish early full sussers so why not give it a try if you fancy it.

Back