1983 Raleigh Gran Sport (at last!)

Deax

Devout Dirtbag
I discovered pro bike racing in 1982 as a 12 year old - my first cycling magazine was the Cyclist monthly Tour de France issue of that year. Back then the most accessible bikes to lust after were Raleighs as the brochures were easily obtained, in my case from Stowes of Slough.

£225 in 1983 was more than I could muster at the age of 13. But, a mere 30 years later I've realised my dream...

Of the 4 versions of the Gran Sport produced in '82 / '83 (Team colours and Caramel, the '82 frame is quite different to the '83) I've made a `best of' (to my tastes) with the Mavic Monthlery Pros (instead of Weinmann A124 HPs) from the Team GS, the ISCA Tornado saddle (some seemed to come with ISCA Competition) and the Cinelli 1A / 65 stem bar combination (the Team had SR Apex).

Otherwise, variances from the original spec are minimal:

-wider ratios on the Suntour Ultra block: 13 -24 instead of 13-21
-42 cm wide Cinelli 65s instead of 40cm
-Campag Record toe clips not Christophe
-Binda straps instead of SA Sportif
-Campagnolo seat post clamp bolt instead of the TA
-Campagnolo water bottle - the Team GS would have come with a Raleigh branded item

I don't know what the original tubs would have been - I've put some Continentals on for display purposes.

Can anyone help? Clement Ritmos perhaps?

Hope you like it...

Attachments

• DSC_0206 Small.jpg
    DSC_0206 Small.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 2,504
  • DSC_0207 Small.jpg
    DSC_0207 Small.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 2,500
  • DSC_0221 Small.jpg
    DSC_0221 Small.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 2,500
  • DSC_0220 Small.jpg
    DSC_0220 Small.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 2,500
  • DSC_0222 Small.jpg
    DSC_0222 Small.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 2,502
  • DSC_0216 Small.jpg
    DSC_0216 Small.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 2,506
That looks very new, did you acquire it like that? I'm guessing the frame finish is original, very smart, I wanted one of these too along with the
TI Rayleigh Campag record team bike that was around at the same time, I couldn't afford either at 16

Wow your story is almost the same as mine. I lusted after the Gran Sport in the 1982 catalogue at the age of 13. I have the 1982 model with an extra pair of sprint wheels. You made a good choice in fitting the sprints as the Weinmanns give a dead ride in comparison. Mine is not in as good a condition as yours which looks minted. Mine came with all the original documentation which Ill scan at some point. Did you buy yours complete? Has it been repainted? Lovely bike, enjoy.

Thanks for all the comments.

More pictures can be found here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/116475815710259027433

Along with the various other projects.

It's been a couple of years in the making - it started with the purchase of a 23.5" '82 version of the frame that came with a pair of wheels that were Monthlery Pro on Campag Tipo - as the Team GS would have had, but they were tied and soldered and the frame came with a story of the previous owner before the seller I bought from having been involved with the TI Raleigh team.

I couldn't substantiate this but the wheels supplied suggested it might have been a training bike perhaps.

My problem is that I'm between Raleigh sizing of the period - I rode 23.5 in the '80s (see my Avatar!), but these days prefer something a little smaller. Then the 22.5" '83 version came up for sale. Had to have it.

22.5 is about my minimum, but preferable.

So I now have both frames in Caramel (see the comparison shots via the link above if your interested).

The frame is original, original paint and came to me with all of the original literature, guarentees, builder's name etc.

By this time I had been collecting very good / NOS parts for a while - the wheels are recently rebuilt with NOS rims.

So, not a cheap project, but I confess to being happy with the result. I do have a spare 23.5" frame though....

Paul

Back