Ritchey P-21 Team - Resurrecting an old friend : )

Thanks all. : )

Yes, I'm definitely pleased I still have all the old parts. I guess being a packrat does occasionally have its advantages.

I've decided to build it to my old race spec, so its pretty full-on race in the grand scheme of things.

I won't have time to do any assembly for another day or two, so let me see if I can remember the full build. Should help me as I reassemble.

Ritchey P-21 - 18"
Manitou FS fork with 1" chromoly steerer
Ritchey roller bearing headset
Ritchey Force Lite Stem
Trek System 1 Handlebars cut down to 20" width (better for tight woodsy singletrack)
Trek System 1 Bar Ends
Alloy Accents green anodized stem cap
American Classic 27.2 Seatpost (really want to replace this with a sand colored Ritchey post that matches the stem)
Vetta TT Trishok seat with manganese rails
Ritchey Ti bottom bracket (square taper of course)
Cook Bros crankset (black) with Red Spider
Avid chainrings with anodized chainring bolts
Onza Ti spindle pedals.
Avid V-Brakes (first gen v-brakes) - I originally built the bike with cantis, and had to make a special frame adapter for the v-brakes
Shimano XTR V-brake Levers
Gripshift 9.0 System - one of the first sets in the States at the time of the build
Shift Worm
Shimano DX bottom pull deraileur
Shimano XT cassette
Sachs Sedis Chain
Front wheel- Laced myself
Trek System 2 Front hub
Trek Matrix Rim
Wheelsmith double butted spokes
Rear Wheel- Laced myself
Shimano LX Rear Hub
Wheelsmith double butted spokes
Trek Mogul Rim (I think)
WTB Velociraptor Tire Rear
Tioga Psycho Front tire

I really can't wait to get this steed rideable!!! :D

:cool: I was just looking at a copy of Dirt today with Frishi's P-21 in it. Looking forward to the complete build :)

That is going to be wicked :cool:

Absolutely love the frame, can't wait for the build to progress. Brilliant.

My heart sank a bit when I read about you having it resprayed, but it looks totally right. That's going to be one of the best bikes on this site.

Just goes to show - never sell anything you've loved, you'll only regret it if you do!

Thanks ya'll! : )

Baby steps forward....

I mounted the fork in the crown tonite. It already had the brakes on it, so was a quick swap over.

I managed to find a backup fork on that auction site for about $15, so I snapped it up and consequently have spares : )

Front wheel is still true (I guess I did an ok job of lacing up that wheel) and has a nice kevlar bead Tioga Psycho on it too! : ) I have a caramel colored Ritchey Z-max in a box somewhere that might be a good one to mount on it too :cool:

My parents will be in town to see their granddaughter this weekend, so I don't know that I'll get much more done in the next few days. Should be able to pick back up next week.....

Attachments

• DSC08443.JPG
    DSC08443.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 2,207
  • DSC08444.JPG
    DSC08444.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 2,207
Wife decided to have a long chat with her sister, so I got some good time in on the Ritchey!

Managed to get the cockpit mounted, as well as the brakes, the bottom bracket and cranks, and finally the rear derailleur.

I really need to spend some time cleaning a few things like the chainrings, but overall, it looks pretty doggone good to me.

Attachments

• DSC08482.JPG
    DSC08482.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 1,057
  • DSC08483.JPG
    DSC08483.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 1,055
  • DSC08484.JPG
    DSC08484.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 1,055
  • DSC08485.JPG
    DSC08485.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 1,055
I won those Cook Bros cranks as part of a prize at a regional race I always enjoyed.... :cool: Lotsa miles on them to take off that black anodizing.

On the GripShift 9.0 derail, you can see the V-brake noodle I installed. That was our shop trick to get the cables to run that curve well on a GS bike.

Sorry for the blurry pics... I did not realize they were/are that bad. Will have to re-shoot some of them...

Attachments

• DSC08487.JPG
    DSC08487.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 1,054
  • DSC08488.JPG
    DSC08488.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 1,054
  • DSC08489.JPG
    DSC08489.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 1,054
  • DSC08493.JPG
    DSC08493.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 1,051
Finished the bike, rode it around the neighborhood a bit. A few more details to tighten up, but it feels just like it always did.

I hope ya'll enjoy the pics......
DSC08508.JPG

DSC08509.JPG

DSC08510.JPG

DSC08511.JPG

DSC08512.JPG

DSC08513.JPG

Back