the riser bar conundrum? the riser bar nasty! pics on P5

Re: the riser bar conundrum? the riser bar nasty!

What if the risers are retro?

Like this?

NOS%20BLAC%20K%20PARK.JPG

unclechet":3h12wesm said:
... My first real mountain bike was a Klein Pinnacle and it had a nice short, upward rise ally stem and riser bars. Very comfortable and of course I took them right off! But if you look back at a lot of the early mtbs many of them had a similar set up and probably rode great. ...

I was thinking along this line as well. I remember riser bars being spec'ed on some of the mid 80's bikes after the transition from bullmoose bars. Then flats became the way to go because that's what the racers were using. Then after 3-4 years in the early 90's the risers started to come back. I think its fine unless you are trying for a factory specific build. Which is really great - but if you can't ride the bike there isn't much point in having it. I'm running a riser stem and bar on my 95 Zaskar and love it.

ridevintagemtb":3a1eflw5 said:
I'll offer a dissenting opinion. Please let it be just that. I think it's fantastic that you guys ride your old bikes, but why do so many try to put round pegs into square holes by trying to modify vintage technology to perform to modern standards? Let vintage bikes be just that - beautiful examples of aged technology. Wonderfully uncomfortable and frustrating to ride. I wouldn't get into a 68 Mustang and expect my back to feel great after a three hour drive. Nor would I be disappointed that The Godfather isn't available in HD.

I ride the hell out my vintage bikes, but I'm loving them because of their faults. Rigid forks, bad brakes, shit tires all create a different trail experience. Lowering the limit bar turns a normal ride into more of a challenge.

There are many, many posts like these. Your Manitou 2 fork will suck no matter what you do to it. Your cantilever brakes will always perform poorly when compared to V-brakes or discs. I feel many on this site would be happier with a modern 29'er.

actually i agree with pretty much all of that, it's why i have kept the bike as i feel it should be for so long, bearing in mind i really like the bike, the choice is change the position and ride it or leave it the same and not ride it.

to me that's the main point, it will get ridden like this.

for the record (if it makes any difference) this is my 96 buckshaver, which already is built with 99(?) xt, so 9 speed and v brakes with a 2000 Sid so it has been modified as such already spec wise. the issue with me was more of the aesthetics than the spec as such, in '96 risers bars had started to return to MTB, and bearing in mind the spec on the bike the bars would be considered relatively normal for 2000 onwards.

it's more i didn't want to change the look of the bike even though it was getting uncomfortable to ride. :(

xerxes":470k9ukj said:
One thing I have noticed on this forum is how many people seem to ride bikes with very small frames; 6 foot riders with 17" frames and 9 or 10 inches of seat post sticking out. I'm only 5' 8", in very thick socks, and I ride an 18 or 19 inch frame and I will generally have 6 or 7 inches of seat post. Smaller than that and I feel like the handlebars are too close to me but too low, the bars feel like they're under me, rather than in front of me.

I realise that some frame designs have very sloped top tubes, so seat tube length varies considerably all other things being equal, but smaller frames generally have a shorter head tube, so with a lot of seat post the handlebars will be very low in comparison to the saddle.

Just to add perspective to this, I'm also 5'8". for me to ride a 18 or 19" frame, I'd need an inline seatpost and a 30-40mm stem. Everyone is a different shape, and I've long legs and short back. Too stretched out and I get real bad lower back ache. My ideal is a 16" frame normally.

I have a modern 29er and I love it. But really position is position and it doesn't matter the vintage of the bike. I didn't use to like riser bars on early mountain bikes but now I do. And risers were around. I also like that I can ride them (riser bars) without as much pain. Also I like my retro bikes retro and my old cars retro too. I don't want them to act like new bikes and cars and I don't expect them to. I "like" that they're not new.

My_Teenage_Self":1lualisg said:
xerxes":1lualisg said:
One thing I have noticed on this forum is how many people seem to ride bikes with very small frames; 6 foot riders with 17" frames and 9 or 10 inches of seat post sticking out. I'm only 5' 8", in very thick socks, and I ride an 18 or 19 inch frame and I will generally have 6 or 7 inches of seat post. Smaller than that and I feel like the handlebars are too close to me but too low, the bars feel like they're under me, rather than in front of me.

I realise that some frame designs have very sloped top tubes, so seat tube length varies considerably all other things being equal, but smaller frames generally have a shorter head tube, so with a lot of seat post the handlebars will be very low in comparison to the saddle.

Just to add perspective to this, I'm also 5'8". for me to ride a 18 or 19" frame, I'd need an inline seatpost and a 30-40mm stem. Everyone is a different shape, and I've long legs and short back. Too stretched out and I get real bad lower back ache. My ideal is a 16" frame normally.

:LOL: I'm the opposite; I'm 6'1 but my knuckles drag on the floor, and I'm bow-legged...

...the bells, THE BELLS!

We_are_Stevo":33qg8d2n said:
:LOL: I'm the opposite; I'm 6'1 but my knuckles drag on the floor, and I'm bow-legged...

...the bells, THE BELLS!

You think you've got problems. My avatar is my passport photo.

And who'd have thought firearms were such an issue when people examine your passport...

As to the riser / bike position / back thingmy, well speaking from my own perspective, and experience - from what I see, most, when they age (well towards middle age, anyways, as people head into old age, a fair amount lose weight again) tend to put some weight on, and also are less active and get less exercise (ignoring cycling for a second).

So more bodyweight, less stimulus to the muscles supporting the body.

I'm not about to advocate everybody suddenly go all reinvigorated Arnie, and all, but I genuinely believe some resistance training, where (ideally more, but as a minimum) some safe, but with reasonable demands, exercise(s) are done for the lower back and abdominal area, would see some issues with peoples' backs nothing like as problematic.

That's no panacea - some people have other complications with their backs, but for a good proportion at least, it's a case of more weight, less muscular development and strength, therefore more aches and pains. For many, some mild, safe, exercise to work at least the lower back (and back in general) plus abdominal area, would probably ease a lot of peoples issue with what they perceive as age-related back ache.

The cycling has alleviated a lot of my daily back pain but was creating a different issue with lower bars.

Ride! Comfortably.

Wonder how many members on here with a long low stem and flat bar clock 80-100 mile a week? Not trying be smart asking that question, it's just i've found once me bikes comfortable then i'm almost inventing errands that need running to get it back spinning.

Agree very much with neil with regards to back exercises, bent over rowing's a gud 'en, if you've not got a band then making your hands touch, arms fully extended, over your head, lively...sounds simple i know but you'd be suprised how many folk spew before they complete 50.

Back