the riser bar conundrum? the riser bar nasty! pics on P5

Re: the riser bar conundrum? the riser bar nasty!

I see your point Mike, but if it's the difference between the bike being ridden or not, then I know which side of the fence I fall on... some may only be able to afford one bike. ;)

(shorter stem and risers on my '94, but they are period correct - not that I give a damn, it's just what I had lying around)

ridevintagemtb":1f88ncde said:
..... Your cantilever brakes will always perform poorly when compared to V-brakes......

Oh jesus, you've really gone a done it now :cool:

G

For me the whole fun of old bikes is riding them, not sitting looking at them. Putting up with crappy brakes, tires and such makes absolutely no sense to me though.

You can enjoy the ride of an old bike with all those things upgraded, just in the same way we swapped out parts back in the days.

Risers have been around for ever, so there is absolutely no argument against using them.

When it comes to old cars I would also remind everyone that many of those classics are only on the road today thanks to upgrades which make them easier to live with day to day.

One of our neighbours in London drives an old Bugatti with modern brakes and wheels.

There is no need to sacrifice the thrill of the old for the sake of a few new bits and bobs.

highlandsflyer":2u4g2xxj said:
There is no need to sacrifice the thrill of the old for the sake of a few new bits and bobs.

I'll point out that the OP isn't posting about the "thrill" of having back and neck problems. And also, you make the point that BITD people added parts to bikes to maximize performance. That's a little different when you're adding then-available technology than adding technology that's been blessed with 25 years of improvement.

At what point does an old frame with new parts cease to be an old bike?

Because then it just could renamed bike.co.uk. The retro makes it special.

I'll keep arguing this without a successful outcome. I'm an elitist bike snob and I like nice things to stay nice.

I'm not a snob, i work on a pays piper theory and love leathering me bike for many miles uphill preferably.

little niggles seem to be felt around the 50 mile mark, if there's 50 to be done for home then i slide the stem up an inch, sunglasses out and Fonzy on home.

ridevintagemtb":3a0iuzu6 said:
...I feel many on this site would be happier with a modern 29'er.

Funny you should say that; I have my eye on a Charge Cooker 29'er frame which when built up the way I have in mind would be very Ritchey P23'ish :|

ridevintagemtb":ediay57o said:

I'll keep arguing this without a successful outcome. I'm an elitist bike snob and I like nice things to stay nice.

I don't know what you are arguing for really.

Old bikes are perfectly nice with modern parts.

ridevintagemtb":2e4l6gex said:

What if the risers are retro?

Back