Heresy... Or just sensible updates?

Your pictures won't load, but I put a set of these (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tektro-RL340- ... 0435274836) on my road bike and braking performance increased by at least 100%, even with the original calipers. I have strong grip and I struggled to slow down with the Dia Compe levers which came with the bike.

They do increase reach though due to the longer body, so you might need a shorter stem if you ride on the drops a lot.

EDIT: Flickr was being slow and I see now you have modern brake levers, so ignore everything I just said.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I have weinmann centre pull brakes on my bike, they work very well and need very little effort to pull them and easily if not better than my cycling buddies Giant with tektro brakes

I only seem to get pain in the wrists when I ride over rough roads.

I would have thought (although I am far from an expert) that those brakes would be good and thus make braking a painless experience :?

But if the pain comes from being hunched over, then swap over the bars and see.

widowmaker":223b15sk said:
I would have thought (although I am far from an expert) that those brakes would be good and thus make braking a painless experience :?

But if the pain comes from being hunched over, then swap over the bars and see.

The brakes are fine in themselves... plenty of stopping power. It's the change of grip on the drops (compared to a flat MTB bar) that is causing the problem - especially on steep down sections. The combination of gravity pushing the base of my thumbs onto the bar and the hand position pulling on the levers is causing the pain. Sounds weird I guess...

Sooooo.... do I need a 25.4mm bar and how long? and would the levers I linked to work ok :) ?

It's worth playing with the bar setup first. Tilt them up or down, rotate the bars, that kind of thing. I go into the drops if I need to slow down fast.

Also, you'll need a 26mm flat bar or 25.4mm stem.

Joe of Loath":37m3m6il said:
It's worth playing with the bar setup first. Tilt them up or down, rotate the bars, that kind of thing. I go into the drops if I need to slow down fast.

Also, you'll need a 26mm flat bar or 25.4mm stem.

Tried changing the position of the bars on the ride... no good :-(

Stem size... dang, .6mm out ;-) So will 25.4 not fit? Even with a shim?

And brake levers... :) Happy to keep with the down tube mounted shifters i already have.

You can shim it, but it's tough to find something thin enough. Even coke can is too thick. 25.8mm is supposed to be a middle ground that works with both, but it's only used on some road bars IIRC.

Straight bars may also mess up the riding position mind, bear in mind the bike was designed for drops. You might be better off going for wider drops or differently shaped brake levers. The Tektro ones I linked have offset levers so you can keep your hands in a comfortable position and still brake.

Not to mention there's a healthy dose of Rule 5 ;) It might just take a few rides to get used to it, I've not ridden my MTB much over the summer and on a 50 mile ride the other day I started to get some weird hand pains.

Back