Loose spokes ok to tighten

widowmaker

Gold Trader
Roberts Fan
Feedback
View
I have been giving the Old Raleigh a checkover before the winter.

I have noticed most of the spokes are a little loose, the wheels are both true with no rim damage.

If I get the spoke spanner out and tighten them up, will it cause the wheel to lose shape ?

I think the wheels will be going into the shop for a regrease anyway but in the meantime am I ok to give them a tighten ?

Random spoke tightening is not a good idea...........if they are going into an LBS I'd get them to tension / true the wheels :)

It's not rocket science but there is some science behind it :)

Shaun

Midlife":n0yg7rya said:
Random spoke tightening is not a good idea...........if they are going into an LBS I'd get them to tension / true the wheels :)

It's not rocket science but there is some science behind it :)

Shaun

That's what I was worried about, they are all of a similar looseness, and probably due some attention anyway :oops:

If it's going into the shop anyway I would just get them to do it. I posted a similar thread a couple of weeks ago and was advised to let the LBS do it because some of the nipples might be seized. I was too lazy to take it to a shop so I tackled it myself and broke some spokes, as predicted. A shop would have broken at least a couple of them too, but they would have a supply of spare spokes to hand.

I bought a new set of stainless spokes on eBay and re-laced the wheel myself. It was easier than I thought and it gave me a chance to clean the hub and rim properly. It was a front wheel though, which is easier, and it was a pretty cheap wheel so it wouldn't be the end of the world if I had killed it.

Back