Raleigh Equipe - any advice?

Bullhorns :)

I keep joking that I am going to go to the next road bike club run wearing flip flops, a hawai shirt and some damn long bullhorns just to see what the stuffy old guys say :LOL:

widowmaker":2wufs1ml said:

I keep joking that I am going to go to the next road bike club run wearing flip flops, a hawai shirt and some damn long bullhorns just to see what the stuffy old guys say :LOL:

Ha, please do, and Instagram their reactions!

I saw a cheap bullhorn at my LBS this morning, they're giving me a good discount on it. I want cross brakes on this one...

RichCollinsUK":2xlux0kv said:
widowmaker":2xlux0kv said:

I saw a cheap bullhorn at my LBS this morning, they're giving me a good discount on it. I want cross brakes on this one...

Get some pics up, I am a sucker for the older Raleighs.

Cross brakes ?, cantis ?

widowmaker":ibmp9mdi said:
RichCollinsUK":ibmp9mdi said:
widowmaker":ibmp9mdi said:

Get some pics up, I am a sucker for the older Raleighs.

Cross brakes ?, cantis ?

Sorry, cross brake levers. I have an old set of caliper brakes I can re-use.

What wheels should I put on? I would like to run 23C tyres...

No pics of mine I'm afraid. Mine is in red and white. It's got a short stem like yours and chrome drop bars which I think is original kit. It had Shimano 300EX cranks on it when I got it but they definitely aren't original. Yours would have had Weinmann brakes originally.

You can put any 700c wheels on. There's a plethora of SS and track wheels on eBay. I always thought a set of those deep rim No Logo or Espresso wheels would look quite good.

Being a smaller frame with 126mm back end, i'm not sure that any modern 700c wheels would fit. I use weinmann XR18 wheels on my 21.5" raleigh kelloggs of that same era, they are very tough, and can be had for £70-100 depending where you shop.

Alternatively if you want modern sealed hubs, theres an american ebay store that sells retro 126mm wheelsets (black or silver) with stainless spokes, i got a set from there and it cost about £140 all in with shipping & import duty (they are very nicely made and handbuilt)

Otherwise look for a set of 2nd hand retro mavics, campags, rigida or weinmanns.

Percybigun":32s12osv said:
Being a smaller frame with 126mm back end, i'm not sure that any modern 700c wheels would fit. I use weinmann XR18 wheels on my 21.5" raleigh kelloggs of that same era, they are very tough, and can be had for £70-100 depending where you shop.

Alternatively if you want modern sealed hubs, theres an american ebay store that sells retro 126mm wheelsets (black or silver) with stainless spokes, i got a set from there and it cost about £140 all in with shipping & import duty (they are very nicely made and handbuilt)

Otherwise look for a set of 2nd hand retro mavics, campags, rigida or weinmanns.

How can you distinquish XR18 wheels, is there a code stamped somewhere on the wheel ?

Back