Advice on 130mm hub in 126mm frame

Larusso

Dirt Disciple
Hello

I have a 58 cm Peugeot Perthus made from Reynolds 753r. The rear hub spacing of the frame is 126 mm OLN. I currently have a 7 speed Shimano set up with some horrible plastic cheap 7 speed STI shifters.

I would really like to be able to buy a modern (but tasteful) set of wheels and a more up to date groupset (probably go for a Campag 8 speed or higher).

The problem being that all modern stuff is 130 mm for the rear hub. So that would mean stretching my frame.

I have been looking around the web for sometime to see what people think about stretching the frame out and whether it will cause damage in the long term. There is so much conflicting advice!

So, can I have your advice? Would you risk it? I have heard 753r is not the best at being cold set.

Many thanks

I have done this on my 531c frame but as I'd paid under £50 for it could afford to be relaxed (and had yet to paint it).

I used the Sheldon Brown technique. Personally it was worth the risk to be able to change the rear wheel without too much chair lube on the paws. Also I have 3 sets of wheels and am indecisive.

753r needs more care than 531. but it's 4mm, the frame will have been coldset further than that during building.

Okay thanks guys. Looks like it is a fairly positive result. I might try to borrow a 10/11 speed wheel and just check the clearances of the smaller gears on the frame.

Now I need to source a set of wheel that actually look nice on the frame. Why is everything black these days!?

Back