Heresy... Or just sensible updates?

daccordimark":2okv4kpa said:
SanPedro":2okv4kpa said:
First run out into the hills this morning... not too big hills though. And it felt alright.
But if anyone here knows Calderdale, West Yorkshire, at all you'll know there's some steep slopes around here if you want to get up on to the tops.

Going to try part of next years Tour which is Britain's longest continuous gradient - all 5 miles of it - out of Mytholmroyd and see how that goes. It's not too steep, just long.

Not had a chance to try the brakes in the wet but they feel pretty damn good in the dry, even compared to the discs on my MTB.

Will try the suggestion of a new chainset with smaller second cog.Assuming I can find one these days. Is this something I'll have to get 2nd hand if I don't want to change the BB?

Cragg Vale will be fine on those gears - as long as the wind isn't howling in from the west over the exposed top section!!!!
It's those nasty hellishly steep climbs up out of the other side of the valley that will have you seeing stars and coughing up goodness knows what from the depths of your lungs.
I'll shut up now - sorry!

Good to hear you're riding it as is - by the time you find a lower gear setup you won't need it.

Those dual pivot brakes are going to be fine in the wet.

Mark.

LOL... yeah. It's the ones out of Hebden Bridge and Todmorden up onto the Long Causeway towards Burnley that are pretty damn stiff. Done them on my MTB, but that's with a granny ring and mahoosive rear cog :LOL:

New stuff should be arriving in the next day or so. :xmas-big-grin:

Noticed yesterday that the bar tape is coming adrift. :-( Does this stuff have adhesive on it? If so, am wondering if it's dried out or something as the tape was all fine and dandy the first few rides. How easy is it to fit new tape? Might go black this time as the new saddle, pedals and tyres are all black.

I got some black cotton 'classic' look bartape for my bike from Planet X for about £5. Looks good feels good and offers a little support for the old wrists :p

Its not a difficult job just a little a fiddly replacing bartape, but have a cuppa, take it slowly and you will be alright :)

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Old Ned":1gvkdmwq said:
SanPedro":1gvkdmwq said:
Would this do the job: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chainset-Sunr ... 33838389b4

Looks a decent price.

That should work OK but you'll need to get a bottom bracket (preferably a cassette one) and find out what the axle taper is (ISO or JIS) and what length is needed for the cranks to fit correctly.

Thanks. So I can just measure the length of the BB then? And then google the difference between ISO and JIS and check with the vendor...?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
SanPedro":1mx558we said:
Old Ned":1mx558we said:
SanPedro":1mx558we said:
Would this do the job: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chainset-Sunr ... 33838389b4

Looks a decent price.

That should work OK but you'll need to get a bottom bracket (preferably a cassette one) and find out what the axle taper is (ISO or JIS) and what length is needed for the cranks to fit correctly.

Thanks. So I can just measure the length of the BB then? And then google the difference between ISO and JIS and check with the vendor...?

The vendor ought to be able to tell you what axle length the cranks need and the taper. If he can't then try Sunrace website?

Ok... been riding the bike for a couple of weeks now and the first couple of changes have made a difference. The new tyres take the sting out of the road and the saddle is pretty comfy so far.

The one thing I can't get used to are the drop bars. It's the braking mainly... I came down a steep descent from the moors around Burnley/Todmorden and I got serious pains in my hands/wrists. Bad enough I had to stop to let them rest for a minute or so. Just can't grip the brakes properly.

So I think a flat bar conversion is next on the cards. Am happy with the shifters on the down tube... I want to keep as much of the bike as original as possible. Been looking around at what to get and so far (I think) I need a 25.4mm bar, with some sweep to it so that I'm not more hunched over.

Maybe somethig like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mountain-Bike ... 35cbcc88a4

What would a good width be? Is 500mm plenty?

And then new brake levers: http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-BL-R550-F ... B000YBEJJS

Plus cables, grips, bar ends.

Anything else I need?

widowmaker":1bx15vqb said:
Pain from the road buzz/vibration ?

The braking issue... I think I might be getting arthritis TBH.

When trying to pull hard on the brakes downhill, whilst gravity is pushing me onto the bars as well, just gave severe pain/stiffness in my hands. I couldn't grip the the levers hard enough for long enough.

It's not a problem I have with the MTB. Hence a switch to a flat bar.

Back