Free School Meals

technodup":1ehahnws said:
Because it's not the state's responsibility to feed children? And it's not the LibDems job to be spending money. 57 MPs is less than 10%.

A diabolical, spendthrift pre-election bribe. See You Next Tuesday.

Likewise to your motivation in posting this, I will benefit, ergo it's a good thing, why should I give a stuff if you don't like it?

After all - that's exactly your perspective.

Truth be told, I'm somewhat ambivalent, really, but notionally I'll benefit - and given your perspective is why should you give a stuff, well in that same spirit, why should I give a stuff about your detraction. And the answer is - I shouldn't.

technodup":1jitlss1 said:
lumos2000":1jitlss1 said:
why stop at meals, lets take away free education too :roll:
Now you're talking.

Fantastic idea. Then we could cut the minimum wage to be inline with those of the immigrant workers.
Before long the country will be on its feet and w'e'll be competing with China and Taiwan with mass produced goods made lovingly by hand in UK sweatshops.

Lets face it. ;)
The UK is a backwater state. It was great once but the people got greedy and lazy. Their children would rather be pop stars than an engineer or office worker. I wonder if the other great empires dwindled the same way :?
The moneys all gone to those that are running the show and its not ever going to filter back down.
The only thing we have to sell is weapons to failed dictatorships and its because of these weapons that we havent been completely forgot about.
And the only thing keeping us safe from invasion is our nuclear arsenal. And of course our huge secret stock piles of chemical and biological weapons.

dyna-ti":v6xuqbfw said:
..The UK is a backwater state. It was great once but the people got greedy and lazy..

..And the only thing keeping us safe from invasion is our nuclear arsenal. And of course our huge secret stock piles of chemical and biological weapons.

Still by any measure on of the top ten economies in the world.

We really don't need nukes to discourage invasion or attack, were that even a realistic proposition. Our military force ranks in the top half dozen in the world.

Not bad for a 'backwater' state.

I reckon we can still afford to give the kids a free lunch, and if anyone wants to argue we can sort it out on the battlefield.

highlandsflyer":2ceur7e4 said:
I reckon we can still afford to give the kids a free lunch
If we keep borrowing like we are we could clothe them as well, maybe take them on a nice holiday too.

Still can't see why it benefits anyone but the vested interests to have virtually everyone dependent on the state.

This only applies to England (I think) but at my old school less than 5% are on free school meals. I've heard of no campaign to extend the scheme. I think many middle class parents would rather their children didn't eat school standard crap and will opt out, so wtf is this happening? Other than votes.

I don't think it's any coincidence that my school is consistently top of the league tables in Scotland and has been forever. We weren't full of turkey twizzlers come afternoon time.

Is this anything more than a bailout to the school food companies who are perhaps seeing demand for their product (and also their profits) dwindle in light of Jamie Oliver, recession et al? Or perhaps I am being too cynical?

Back