the riser bar conundrum? the riser bar nasty! pics on P5

Re: the riser bar conundrum? the riser bar nasty!

Joe of Loath":10mzs60d said:
IMHO a riser bar looks better than a high rise stem or stack of spacers.

this is how i feel, more the spacers really, maximum stem rise for me is 10degree otherwise i feel it looks too "city bike" if you know what i mean.

i have ordered a stem to replace the temporary try it and see stem, when it's fitted i'll do some comparison pics, as it turns out i think the rise of the bar will be enough so i have decided on a 10mm shorter stem but still 0 degree rise, so 0 x 110 with a medium rise bar, it's a used thomson so worst case i can sell it for the same if it feels wrong.

I have a back back and an arthritic wrist after car and motorcycle accidents years back. Long stems and posts, risers, whatever works is good. No point otherwise in my view. Supposed to be fun to ride, not a penance. Just enjoy.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 551

All my bikes look daft with short stems and masses of seatpost waving in the air (flamingo legs, Tyrannosaur arms)

Make it fit you everything else is secondary.

I can understand it on historically significant/rare bikes, but otherwise, keep it period and enjoy it.

(JB666, did I pass you on a black singlespeed/hub gear in Dibden about 5.30 tonight?)

didn't realise you were that close! but no, wasn't me.

roadtrip tomorrow though :D

I fitted a riser to my Lava Dome as I found the riding position too low for my 30-something back to tollerate. I'm also fitting a slightly shorter stem with a low rise to help as well.

I got a titanium riser bar off an american ebay seller a few years ago, he was a motorbike seller. It seems really nice, pretty wide as well which I like.

Risers on most bikes for me.

I would imagine risers are soaking up more as a bonus.

Flat bars are pretty much out for me apart from on bikes that I would only be using for a short commute. My back isn't the problem it's the back of my neck.

it's good to know i'm not the only one then! :)

Tazio":2m8cvjw5 said:
Flat bars are pretty much out for me apart from on bikes that I would only be using for a short commute. My back isn't the problem it's the back of my neck.

Yeah, a high seat/low bars also puts more pressure on you wrists.

I had a low rise Syncros stem and flat (with no bend...what were they thinking??) Syncros bar on my Vertex, and it was dreadful. It may look a bit naff now, but the bike was transformed when I put a big ol' Tomac bar (and shorter RF stem) on there:

1176114_10151661669677810_1502588578_n.jpg

Back