Bike Pile find

Mr.Toad

Senior Retro Guru
Driving over to a friends house today I passed a house with a huge pile of bikes in the back yard and a sign out front saying "Bike Sale Today!". Being a total bike geek I just had to stop and take a look around.

The pile was quite impressive in size but not in quality. Most were just garbage, just bottom end big-box junk. Then near the bottom I spotted some bullmoose bars with thumb shifters on a ratty looking red bike. Looking closer I saw that they were Suntour Mountech with matching front and rear derailleurs. I've been looking for some Suntour bits to complete my Bianchi Volpe build so I offered up $10 and he took it.

Dug the bike out from the pile and snapped some pics. Looks like a 1985 Rockhopper to me, terrible state though. The bars look pretty cool and parts are looking salvageable.

Attachments

• RH4.jpg
    RH4.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 526
  • RH2.jpg
    RH2.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 526
  • RH1.jpg
    RH1.jpg
    315.4 KB · Views: 526
Re: Dog Pile

Nice find!

Btw maybe change or add to the subject line - I didn't know WHAT I was gonna find ;-)

Changed the topic name.....I thought it was kind of funny.

My old band had a song called Dogpile which referred to team sports and how moments of excitement can lead to the players jumping into a pile, Dogpile. Of course i'm aware of the other meaning...which is equally unpleasant.

Anyway back to the bike. I'm not really sure what to do with it right now. Although the paint is scratched there are no dents or damage to the frame and the seat tube is free of rust. The fork has one brake post that has broken off, otherwise it's a solid bike, though a bit small for me, 18".

At first I thought about pulling the parts and tossing the frame but I can't help but think a 85 RH has potential to be a really cool bike.

Was funny, just u didn't get as many replies (so probably views) as I thought u deserved! I was thinking along the lines of 'dog pile - 80s spesh content' :)

That might have been more appropriate Jay....

Would anybody know what rims and hubs this bike would have been spec'd with? Did Suntour make Mountech hubs?

I can't help but think it might be work going back and looking for the wheels to make the bike complete, well besides the seat post and seat.

Thanks!

Edit, just found the info. Shimano brakes, Specialized low flange hubs with Saturne rims.

Spent a few minutes on the '85 last night and cleaned off the custom pin striping, which might have been nail polish. The red is really nice color and in decent shape, other than the top tube of course.

Cool frame. Full length housing for the rear brake and above the bb cables for the rear mech's. Interesting proportions with the long chainstays and short top tube. ....anyway might mothball this one for now.

Attachments

• s.jpg
    s.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 281
Back