Should schools be saying this?

pigman":1e4wwtoc said:
if what is reported is true, then as others have said, this is discgusting and needs taking up with the school. I would suggest taking it up with the school's Learning mentor who will be aware of working with child psychology issues and will be keen to do his/her best on these aspects.

medical checks will be carried out by the local authority's school nursing teams, who you would think are qualified, but certainly not by teachers (for those who think teachers should stick to teaching)

If we combat obesity with more PE or whatever, what would this be at the expense of? An hour's more PE, an hours less Maths? or extend the school day?

Maybe as someone has suggested, this was lost in translation. Maybe she misinterpreted what was said. Maybe a poor joke by the nurse was taken literally (certainly misguided if this was so) , who knows?

And maybe (and don't take this the wrong way) she is looking for a way out of eating (and all that goes with it) and saying this is that way out and hopefully gains your support.

I will try to get more info about it, but as I've said my daughter is usually pretty good at remembering situations, far too accurately sometimes and to my embarrassment :oops: unlike her younger sister that get's everything wrapped round her neck and is a bit of a fantasist. It was casually said though, she didn't think it was odd, she just said "I had a physical today and they said I must have too much internal fat as I weighed more than I should" I think they might of mixed things up themselves as, before our scales broke, she was underweight.

I'm not sure she's thinking of cutting down on food though, there's not much to cut out to be honest, she's always seen herself as skinny, but of course if she did show signs of an eating disorder, and that can be hard to spot, she'd get all my help and support.

Alison

I think thats a pretty outrageous thing to say, especially at that age when theyre beginning to grow up. Plus take into account their own social group that can be very hard on their peers.
I would go to the school and ask them to explain why theyre putting doubts and worries in your daughters mind, ask them if theyre aware of kids are very self conscious when it comes to how they appear to other children. dont take a grumble for an answer, ask again till you get them to say that they do. Then ask them why they deliberately would say that. Ask if theyre stupid? Ask it they consider it to be their place to force political agendas on your children.

Then mention lawyer.

I do worry if your daughters school is run by morons, Alison! Body mass index is a crude assumption that would only be valid if the inside of everyones body was a kind of neutral density homogenous mush. It makes no acknowledgement that muscle is denser than fat and thus heavier, so someone with more muscle and less fat than their equally tall, same age, same gender neighbour would have a higher BMI and might be "Obese". I think it's very telling that Chopper notes how the cohorts used to create the original BMI figures were all members of the ration book generation.
Whilst like Neil I sense a waste of public money here, always an irritation with me, especially when I am a North Yorkshire council tax payer and thus like you am paying the wages on these anuses running your daughters school!

:evil: I'd be in for a chat with the head to get to the bottom of that. If the dialogue did go something like that then they are well past the mark for all the reasons pointed out in previous posts.

I hassled her about it yesterday, it was here teacher and it was part of the class she was taking, might have been this new sport class where they are doing a BTEC course in sport, I asked her what this "internal fat" was, she didn't know. I agree with all that has been said but my daughter thinks I'm being really over reactive and making too much of it, she says she isn't bothered about it, why should I be so bothered.

Alison

Quite natural for her to feel that way.. Kids never want mum or dad rocking up at school causing a drama.

Back