1991 20" GT Zaskar - rebuilt to take on holiday

The Zaskar was an absolute pleasure to ride off-road for the first time - I rode about 150 miles on it in the last week, away in Scotland on the Isle of Arran.

Here's a few pics:

Brodick+Castle+climb+-+view+to+the+mainland.jpg

Cnocan+Gorge+Bridge+1.jpg

Viewpoint+between+Lamlash+and+Brodick+%25281%2529.jpg

Viewpoint+between+Lamlash+and+Brodick+%25282%2529.jpg

Whiting+Bay+approach.jpg

Whiting+Bay+bridge+2.jpg

Giants%2527+Graves+above+the+switchback+climb.jpg

Giants%2527+Graves+%25281%2529.jpg

Giants%2527+Graves+%25282%2529.jpg

Glenashdale++%2527falls+%25281%2529.jpg

Glenashdale++%2527falls+%25282%2529.jpg

Kildonan+%25282%2529.jpg

Eas+Mor+Waterfall+Library+%25283%2529.jpg

Brodick+-+from+halfway+up+Goatfell.jpg

Goatfell+-+from+halfway+up.jpg

Goatfell+-+Zaskar+at+the+peak.jpg

Goatfell+Conquer.jpg

Goatfell+-+climbing+down.jpg

I had an amazing week and massive thanks to Ben (FluffyChicken) again for the loan of a rear wheel which allowed me to take the Zaskar instead of hiring a bike there.

Nice to see it being enjoyed , Summat about building up bikes from stuff lying about ,always a more satisfying build

I'm still using this as my first choice off road bike -

So I thought I ought to update the components with the current build, though some I'll need to check:

Frame: 20" 1991 GT Zaskar - Aluminium Alloy 6061-T6 Heat Treated

Fork: GT 2x4

Headset: Original Tioga with GT locknut
Stem: Original GT Flip Flop
Handlebar: Original GT Duraluminium
Grips: Ritchey WCS Foam
Barends: none

Brakes: Dia Compe U Brake rear and Tektro CR720 front
Brake Pads: Dia Compe/Tektro standard
Brake Cables: Fibrax Teflon-coated Black
Cantilever cable hangers: Proper rear, Tektro front
Brake Levers: Dia Compe Power Control 7 anodised blue

Shifters: Shimano Deore Thumbshifters
Front Derailleur: Shimano XT M750
Rear Derailleur: Shimano DX M650
Derailleur Cables: Shimano
Cassette: Shimano HG
Chain: Clarks Anti-Rust
Cranks: Shimano XTR M900 175mm
Crank Bolts:
Chainrings: Outer: Spécialités T.A Middle: Spécialités T.A Inner: Shimano
Chainring bolts: Shimano XTR M900
Bottom Bracket: Shimano UN71
Pedals: Tioga Surefoot VII

Hub Skewers: Shimano XTR M900
Rims:
Hubs: Hope
Nipples: Aluminium Alloy
Spokes: Stainless steel
Tyres:
Tubes:

Saddle: Specialized
Seatpost: Original GT/True Temper? 26.8mm x 350mm
Seatpost Binder: Original GT All Terra Heat Treated Aluminium with GT QR

Weight:

The plan is still to strip the paint from the frame in the hope the ball-burnished is retained underneath, but the paint actually seems to have taken very well, so it's hard work to remove, especially trying to do it carefully and keep the finish underneath.

As a happy ending, or rather a happy new beginning:

Having ridden and appreciated the Zaskar, I never got around to giving it the frame the treatment and rebuild it deserved and when it came time to reduce the number of bikes I had I reluctantly decided to part with it. I sold it to Andrew76 and it could not have gone to a better home. András remembered that I said I would love to see it after it had been rebuilt, knowing that it was due to be sotred until he had a chance to return home and build it. I was delighted to see this week that not only has it received the attention the frame deserved, but that is is now looking absolutely stunning:

I04fRgbpvcw4QqcTqlTfo2ZwlFEgUnChybIPec4EFsR3JIRCWBrxdnff5-guQvEvZ6I3_lkx-t1dv6RJgh1umCCv-t9qKPzWZMkjmOzEle-oRXtFrkZBo-owEWZXqUa00wNaHep1GQ=w1613-h907-no

1JdDWj2MjQHTt4RsD7qjX59tYY4CYAioR5MJL7kf-hjXKRMvN59jP--KyIqSeLAVC5vgH0UJYCVQqrS-lKrGFBk4ZVxtBCtmHFt0cKhIuGM5ttptYCjeZyUao_71b7ichs_QaazjWQ=w516-h916-no

-yFraph8mqFcAiixCK16hxGAzcnA8HytbmqtQBuPNMaZSM1AI_zB3FzFcmhqQeN9n9dV360I9AT_7db1C2ooIyMqe9aVnb_fkSVVZNPc-WQgH-Zr4AWKbiw4p2nYOX5fORWUCr62iQ=w1613-h907-no

50cONBTKj8sLOTDa0WiGdDn3O1z5KhERoilUFqvIYm5DsSUsAkYDVdOCNOYBH8QBDgXU7crACCzMrakNqsl2A4B6wjy-2mIKGKttJy-LG68qkr3Wp-WVf1-ic9MjmrPcs4Makc20MA=w1411-h794-no

Thank you for sharing the photos with me, András.

That is nice, a lot of work gone into it. I need a fully silver rear mech in my life too :)

Hope you're doing well too.

Re:

Wow that looks amazing Will, hard to believe it's the same bike tbf man!

Only thing I would change would be the forks as I'm not a fan of mags, but other than that its ace!

Hope you've still got some retro stuff in your stable and you're doing well dude!

Re: Re:

Spudly":2ricyel5 said:
Hope you've still got some retro stuff in your stable and you're doing well dude!

thanks Spud, I hope everything is good with you. I still have a few retro bikes .... just more of an attic than a stable for the time being.

Back