Cross-ing over

Wizard of OZ

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Looking for advice please.

Not usually one to post let alone in the dirty road section. Have an idea that I want a retro cross bike. Have no idea who or what was around when. Learnt most of my retro mtb stuff on here anyway. Came late to cycling but have fallen quite hard in the reto camp. And no I don't mean Edwards 'camp'.

So here’s my brief. Looking for frame in steel. (Is there anyother other frame material worth making a frame out of?) Have a set of wheels already that are loverly. Ultegra with Mavic ceramic rims. 126mm rear hub so that already sets the choice I suspect. So looking to probably put a 8/9sp Shimano drive train, even though probably not catalogue correct spec sorry.

Looking for initial thoughts on frames/riders/info that I can search for to develop yet another 'I want one of those' needs in my life. Not 100% yet but offers or links to what you’ve seen/have for sale would be considered.

thanks

A few random thoughts:

For a long period, ALAN screw-and-glue aluminium frames were the standard for cyclocross bikes. Their lightness and flexibility made them well suited for cyclocross. Several brand seemed to use re-labelled ALAN bikes, including Guerciotti, Fangio, even Colnago.
Vitus made a similar bonded aluminium frame in about the same period.

For steel, the Belgian brand Diamant made very nice steel and later aluminium frames. I think Hilary Stone has a Diamant cyclocross for sale at the moment. They are quite cheap usually, because the name is not known much outside Belgium.

Top end stuff would probably be something like the Ritchey Swiss Cross, Surly seem to do 'cross bikes, so do Cotic in the UK. Or you could go tailor made, I am sure someone like Bob Jackson on Mercian would be able to put together a nice frame. Better still might be Martelly in Belgium.

Enough to be going on with?

Johnny

Very good comments above. For some reason retro steel CX is very thin on the ground. Something comes up on here once in a blue moon. Another alternative is steel tourers which seem to be more available, but obviously won't be as racy but will have tire clearance and the canti bosses. I eventually got a modern-retro 2012 MASI CX Speciale.

To add to the top advice above, if you're going for retro cyclocross then barend shifters and wide angled cantis are the way forward for a Belgian silhouette plus will allow you to go with modernish set up(9 speed barend shifters, Froglegg cantis).

Not sure if an Alan would be the best for your dense physique though.

i always liked Fort frames, that's what my cross frame is but they did a really nice Foco steel frame that i think is really underated, my old boss at GA cycles had the team on them for quite a while and they all really liked them.

Thank you all for the helpful advice. Will post an update on progress but may be some time as apparently I'm too fat.

WoO

jonnyboy666":2p4oqduv said:
i always liked Fort frames, that's what my cross frame is but they did a really nice Foco steel frame that i think is really underated, my old boss at GA cycles had the team on them for quite a while and they all really liked them.

I'm still racing on one of those - really nice frames. Old steel CX machines do seem thin on the ground, partly I guess because they're a bit of a niche thing, but also with a well-built, light(ish) one it's unlikely to be homeless if its present owner wants shot of it. My old mid-80s Edison ended up as a pit-area standby machine for someone who was just starting to take the sport really seriously.

David

Woz":1uk84sg4 said:
Very good comments above. For some reason retro steel CX is very thin on the ground. Something comes up on here once in a blue moon. Another alternative is steel tourers which seem to be more available, but obviously won't be as racy but will have tire clearance and the canti bosses. I eventually got a modern-retro 2012 MASI CX Speciale.

Just Googled that - nice looking bikes!

David

ededwards":2pmjr0z2 said:
Not sure if an Alan would be the best for your dense physique though.

+1 to that. Bonded/screwed Alans and the very similar Vitus Futural are a bit flexy and seem to get more so with age.

David

David B":1bt3piw9 said:
Woz":1bt3piw9 said:

Just Googled that - nice looking bikes!

David

I've been very happy with it. Worked fine out of the box which was a surprise (that didn't stop me fiddling with it though). Unfortunately they are not available in Europe due to a trade name dispute.

http://road.cc/content/news/16884-masi- ... ot-so-soon

Latest posts

Back