Uk riders: Front brake - left or right lever?

The suggestion is that when turning you won't be needing hard braking. That should be done before you remove you hands from the brakes. I don't like turning and using the front brake. It is against all common sense. You never brake a leaning, or turning (in the sense that its changing direction) wheel. You reach the correct speed to turn before turning.

Also with the exceptions of above your brakes should be correct for the period of the bike. After all this is about old bikes isn't it?

mattsccm":2dez4bm2 said:
Also with the exceptions of above your brakes should be correct for the period of the bike. After all this is about old bikes isn't it?

Absolutely - that's why front left is correct. Look at all the old pro's, they did it this way - and a lot of top TT'ers.

In the end it's personal preference. I like it the way I do it - and I've never had a problem (yet :) ).

PANZR":3t7j8fre said:
monty dog":3t7j8fre said:
Side pull brakes are designed for a lefthand front lever...it means I have a nice, single curve to the caliper rather than a convoluted S-bend. Better solution for when you have short stem or headtube and concealed cables.

+1

+2

The frame and brakes dictate how the cables are run imo for the smoothest cable run.

The one that gets me is STI's which sometime have a very tight curve at the headtube. After working on quite a few bikes I noticed that Specialized bikes cross over under the downtube to maintain a smooth run. I have since started doing this too, unless the build dictates that I shouldn't....I sound like a bike whisperer :D

Latest posts

Back