1990 yeti ultimate 'new recent photo's added'.

Re: my 1990 yeti ultimate

miles0385":2e3uisht said:
Hi, nice bit of nostalgia, I have NOS MA40 mtb rims and a NOS 1 1/4 XTII headset, I'd be interested in a deal with the clothing if any good to you

Kind Regards, Miles

Hello Miles,

Thank you for your interest..
Brilliant set of rims, and would love a set of them, but i couldnt part with my yeti cycle kit, its a bit of my past, ive just recently bought a 2001 pearl izumi yeti jersey, so as i can retire my old gear before i damage it...
This stuff does come up for sale on ebay, "i search all the time", a windbreaker sold a couple of weeks ago for around £85.. ( was torn as well ). the pearl izumi yeti top cost me £60 from the states..
What i could do for you, if you let me know your exact size and i do happen to come across some for sale, i could pm you with the details, german ebay seems to be a good source ..
Plus i noticed you are looking for some accutrax.
There are two pairs for sale on german ebay at the moment, one pair ends in an hour or so, "but the seller wont sell to the uk or accept paypal". the other set are on a buy it now or make an offer around the £250ish price, both are yeti/cyan blue... "ive not asked this seller if they will post or deal with the uk as yet.
ive had some good stuff come from germany, most will deal with the uk.

Again, many thanks for the offer, just wish i had some spare for you.
Bye for now.
Kind regards.........,martin

Re: my 1990 yeti ultimate ( picture's added )

Since buying/building this bike, ive always wanted the correct yeti jersey dated the same as the bike, and have only ever had the 93 kit ( critical racing )...
That is till now !

Just browsing through ebay last week i came across this :

The seller had not listed it correctly, spelling campagnolo wrong and no mention of yeti in the title !

Could do with a good wash, so a bit grubby in this shot....

1990 yeti cycles by redfern1950s, on Flickr

Much better image , taken at the five pits trail derbyshire :

1990 yeti ultimate by redfern1950s, on Flickr

My ultimate rides with another :

A load of us went to llandegla forest the other day, i had not been before.. long way to go for me personally, but was very good.
In all the years ive had my ultimate, ive never rode with another.., a few of my old friends now have ultimates, and one day soon will arrange for us all to meet up.., there will be 4 ultimates, 2 fro's and 2 arcs ...
So on this ride we could only get 2 ultimates together...

The smaller of the 2 is a 16", not sure of the year at the mo ! but has some fantastic parts..

Since buying a fro, the ultimate has now been put away, for now..

I will be taking some proper photo's of it some time soon, may even start a new thread once its been cleaned and a few new parts added.

Although the paint is original on the frame , i will at some point refresh where needed.., especially the forks and stem, ive always wanted to put them back to original, which would be 'dayglo' yellow, i have an old photo somewhere from when i first built it, with its original team colour scheme.. ( i will post it on here when i come across it )..

The only reason ive never gone back to original, was because getting hold of the accutrax decals was hard enough back in the 90's, i wrote to 'answer' for the white versions back in 93.

Yet again, this forum has come up trumps :D , ive recently been in touch with 'GIL' and have been going through options for the decals i need, not just for this, but also the fro im restoring..
One problem ( well, i thought it would have been..., but not a problem for the talents of gil ) was replicating the ODD style of the design of typeface used on the ultimate part of the decals...
The 'M' on my ultimate is different to all the others ive seen, and also the 'A' ( which i had never noticed untill gil pointed it out ) is the opposite way around...
Gil has altered his art work to suit............fantastic.....

Any way, here is a close up showing the difference's, Gil says it may have been an early design..

Just dug this old photo out.
Was taken around early 1991.
At the time of this build, shock boots where not available. the ones pictured here are home made jobies, using old inner tubes!
The crank set is an old set of original bmx items with a converted spider, with mavic rings.
The bottom bracket was xt cups & bearings, with a suntour spindle "reason for this was to obtain better chain alignment".
The tyres are the obligatory tyres of the time .. farmer john cousin up front & a reversed farmer john on the rear... matching the head tube decal.
The first generation syncros post is now on my fro, when i first built this bike, the post was an xt and the seat was an avocet.
The bars where a madison unit, the lightest at the time and where carbon ( i snapped them )
The manitous came from a private importer, before there was a uk dealer, same as the ringle full threaded holey skewers..
The ftw stem bearing its original team colours ( same colour as the accutrax supplied )..
The levers where shimano dx 2 finger, i could have gone for xt's, but preffared the silver levers at the time.. i think the front brakes may have been scott pederson self energizers to match the rears ( dangerous on the front ).
And the decals on the e-stays are cook bros racing..

Will see if i can find any older images soon.

These are the oldest photo's i have , taken in 1990.

The first photo was taken the day i built it. virtually the same spec as the on the second photo, but pre upgrades

a week later i fitted the cromo onza bar ends, 1st generation syncros post and ringle skewers.

The brakes where changed soon after, from suntour self energizers to scott pederson versions.

Re: my 1990 yeti ultimate new OLD 'photo's added from 1990'

Hello,

For a good while now, well since digging this bike out of retirement, the original wheels have been a worry, and although they have not been used for many years, the rim side walls are very very thin, and very close to failing.
Well, ive been holding out for the right rims to come along, ideally i would have prefared to replace with the same, ( i think mavic paris dakars where the best ). But have been unable to find a pair ( would still buy some if they came up ).
Instead , these came onto ebay. A nos pair of mavic 'rando M5' .
The old dakars, will be stripped down so as to use my old xt hubs, which still run smooth.

Just need to find a good wheel builder now. any suggestions in the nottingham area would be great...

1990 nos mavic rando M5 rims by redfern1950s, on Flickr

Great pics. I've had a fantastic set of road wheels built by Mick at Langdale Lightweights in Nottingham- would recommend highly.

CTK":cmwk7iqw said:
Great pics. I've had a fantastic set of road wheels built by Mick at Langdale Lightweights in Nottingham- would recommend highly.

Hi ,
just found their web site, so will give them a call..

Cheer's for that, and glad you like the pics..

Back