trotsky3

Retro Newbie
Hi there,
just joined and posted on MTB part of forum because that is what myself and kids do most of nowadays but would like to ask a bit of advice from you folk who are knowledgeable about road bikes. I have two bikes in the garage of the road variety, one a Bates and the other a Benotto. The Bates I have had since being a kid and has not been ridden since my teens (alas a long time ago now!!) and has the DIhydrant (?) forks and Cantiflex (?) tubing. It has 26" alloy wheels that are period and came with cantilever brakes which clamp on to the forks (also period) and a hand change on the seat downtube for changing between front cogs. What would be the way to date it properly. It is in need of a proper resto but dont know if it is worth doing? The other bike which is complete and was ridden until a few years ago is a Benetto in a Champagne colour. It has tubs (tubeless) tyres on which are shot though. How can I find which model it is. It has the same colour scheme as one which was on here from Portugal which one of the moderators had recognised as not being what the owner was suggesting. I think this bike would be 70's or 80's in age and was in good nick when it went into the garage but after a flood may well need some resto too. Again is it likely to be worth doing? With thanks for any helpful advice. I would have done photos but am pretty useless computer techie wise so will have to wait for the kids to help me if there are any requests for piccies. Cheers John.

Many thanks Ned for that, I shall have a good look at the links and try to establish more.( I was born in Wakey by the way and still only live about 15 miles or so distant so this one was advice from right on my doorstep!).

trotsky3":94o8h4qt said:
Many thanks Ned for that, I shall have a good look at the links and try to establish more.( I was born in Wakey by the way and still only live about 15 miles or so distant so this one was advice from right on my doorstep!).

Why not bring it along to this then?

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=265322

There'll be plenty of people there who will be able to help you.

Back