Kids Vintage tricycle

twain

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
the Mrs bought a vintage looking tricycle (not sure how vintage really) for our eldest this weekend. lovely little Raleigh tricycle, however, when he got on to ride it, the front wheel popped out of the fork dropouts.

upon inspection, i found that a part of the spindle has snapped off - its a small plastic insert that clamps around the pedal crank and is (was) attached by rivet to the fork:

the one that is intact:

the broken one:

the short story being, i need to find a way of fixing this to stop the crank popping out when the pedals are pushed on.

i either need to find something similar to the plastic thingmajig or, find a completely different way of attaching the wheel/axle to the forks.
the axle is one piece and is not removable from the wheel.

i've been racking my brains and havent come up with anything usefu; yet, hoping someone on here can help :)

its a nice little project. took 15mins to completely dissassemble the trike :) its ready for stirpping of paint. going to get some new decals and rattle cans to help bring this back to life.
will post up more pics of it soon, but need to tackle this problems first :)

Seems like you should be able to rig something up.

If the pedal can be removed then a simple steel bar with two appropriately sized hols could do the trick. Maybe?

Steven

I haven't got a lot of room to get a grip on the locking cap that holds the pedal on, may have to hack the pedal housing a bit to get access to it.....i guess once the pedals off it's be a lot easier

Send the complete plastic thing to me and an accurate measurement of the diameter of the crank where it fits through the plastic thing and I'll make you one for £postage if I have suitable material. It'll be something knocked up quick though, so don't expect Royce quality!

You won't need to remove the pedal either.

ok, so Rampage has helped to make the plastic part, however, in the mean time i removed the pedals.
i broke one in the process, so i'm now looking for similar pedals - these arent bolted on, they slot on and are kept on by way of one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STAR-LOCK-END ... 3cd8c75ecb

cant seem to find anywhere online yet that sells these types of pedals:

TKP-33-Large.jpg

unless i go for another trike for spares, but i'd probably have the same trouble removing them.... :roll:

anyone have any idea where to get these in the UK?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back