Uk riders: Front brake - left or right lever?

GoldSpanner

Dirt Disciple
I find myself signalling for a right turn way more often than a left, and at the same time, would like to be able to use my front brake.
On my current project, I'll be using downtube shifters, and I can imagine it would be good to use my front brake while shifting through the rear cassette.

Any UK riders have their front brake on their left lever? And if not, anyone got any reasons why not?

I always had my front brake on the left for that reason. From 1949 on.
I used to assemble bikes that way unless specified on the right.

Side pull brakes are designed for a lefthand front lever - it's only the British Standard for new bikes that stipulates it should be the other way around. I run all my bikes with a lefthand front - it means I have a nice, single curve to the caliper rather than a convoluted S-bend. Better solution for when you have short stem or headtube and concealed cables.

ohhhhhhhhh, big thread about this a couple of months ago, I'll have a search :)

Shaun

PS Right hand lever for the front brake

Motorbikes RHS front brake since 50 years ago as a standard that lives on, get used to it, any non cage drivers will agree , push bikes followed suit , unless you were limited by the poorly constructed lhs sidepull brakes which benefited from a wide sweeping curve of the the sloppy brake outer.if you want to inhabit the powered cycle world as well as the push bike get used to RHS front brake. If you want a short but exciting life embrace the LHS front brake.

GoldSpanner":1ta5zk1a said:
I find myself signalling for a right turn way more often than a left, and at the same time, would like to be able to use my front brake.
On my current project, I'll be using downtube shifters, and I can imagine it would be good to use my front brake while shifting through the rear cassette.

Any UK riders have their front brake on their left lever? And if not, anyone got any reasons why not?

I believe the reason we have the front brake on the right is exactly the opposite- to allow you to use the back brake when signalling right.

monty dog":2ikjqc0x said:
Side pull brakes are designed for a lefthand front lever...it means I have a nice, single curve to the caliper rather than a convoluted S-bend. Better solution for when you have short stem or headtube and concealed cables.

+1

BobToo":1z5kthyo said:
I believe the reason we have the front brake on the right is exactly the opposite- to allow you to use the back brake when signalling right.

The front brake has always been the more effective of the two

keithglos":1d2ejg6l said:
I always had my front brake on the left for that reason. From 1949 on.
I used to assemble bikes that way unless specified on the right.
Me too! I find LH front brake when riding and indicating much more effective.

But then I've been doing it for over 50 years so by now it should be!

Back