trotsky3

Retro Newbie
Hi there,
just joined after spending some time reading the really interesting and helpful posts. Myself and my kids, (girl and boy aged 14 and 11) live close to the Peak District but spend a lot of weekends in the Yorkshire Dales on the tracks in the three peaks area. I have a Scott Peak which is a 1999 or 2000 model (bit new for here I believe?) but have been looking for a full size mtb for my daughter who has outgrown the 24" wheel bike she has been using for the last year or so. I was looking at a 1993 Kona Cindercone but missed out on it on ebay but todaysaw an advert for a mid to late 90's Marin Bolinas Ridge. Went to see it and it was in truly time warp condition. If someone said it had been wheeled out of the shop and covered 5 miles I would have readily believed them. Not a mark on it. Anyway did not even haggle the price, just put my hand in my pocket. Its an 18.5" frame which may be a little too big for her at the moment (she has not ridden it yet as its part of her birthday pressie) but I rode it for a while today to check it out. Not the lightest bike (though not heavy either) but beautifully smooth and a joy to ride. It has brand new Specialized Hemisphere tyres on which are obviously more road oriented but coped ok on the easy track I took it down though will probably be swapped for something a bit more xc friendly. I loved the rigid front end and my mind is made up about the Scott now in that direction. It currently has an RST sus fork on which is like a pogo stick and weighs twice the weight of the frame (which is I think a very nice frame) so that is going in favour of lightness and simplicity. Any advice on converting back to rigid forks gratefully received. Anyway hello folks, cheers John.

Back