Non-standard handelbars for old Dawes

jarnoldbrown

Retro Newbie
Hi, I just bought a fairly old Dawes (countryman?). It has a Sakae stem and clamp, but the clamp is too small for a standard 25.4mm handlebar, it will only take around 22 or 23 mm. Does anyone know where I might be able to source a set of bars that are more in keeping with the bike than the blue anodized ally BMX bars that are currently fitted?

John

Thanks, I am trying eBay, but no luck so far. It's strange, because the stem and clamp are almost certainly original, if any of the pictures on Google are indicative.

jarnoldbrown":d9e5pskp said:
Thanks, I am trying eBay, but no luck so far. It's strange, because the stem and clamp are almost certainly original, if any of the pictures on Google are indicative.

possibly not 22.2mm then if stem's original... be good to check this exactly before buying some more bars!

forgot to ask, do you need drops or more roadster style with slight rise & sweep back?

if the latter I just had a look through my stash and found some nice chromed steel ones, would estimate they are late '70s and for use with 3 speed, with a 23.8mm clamp size x 520mm wide

any use to you?

I just put the digital calipers on the current bars, and they are definitely 22.2 mm, I am not sure if the clamp would take 23.8, but I think it's highly unlikely. Thanks for your help anyway.
In answer to your question, I will attempt to post a lnk...
http://jpegbay.com/gallery/000592111,2-.html

and that stem/clamp looks identicall to mine.

John

aha sorry, I forgot that we were dealing with an '80s ATB :) you should have a try in the MTB wanted section - I think they're called golf club stems, but the link helps a lot! good luck!

I have a set of 22.2 risers that came of an 80's Peugeot MTB I'll dig them out later and post a pic. They are nearly identical to the Sakae MT bars that would have been on your Dawes- I know that cos I too have a Dawes Countryman ;)

some pics showing worst of the clamp marks, I wouldn't worry- look how thick they are :shock:

£10.00 posted

Attachments

• DSC_2643 (800x536).jpg
    DSC_2643 (800x536).jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 387
  • DSC_2642 (800x536).jpg
    DSC_2642 (800x536).jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 386
  • DSC_2641 (800x536).jpg
    DSC_2641 (800x536).jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 386
Back