Mystery chrome CW Racing, possible Voris Dixon built?

Miguello

Dirt Disciple
This is one of the earliest mountain bikes I've ever seen or owned. No brake mounts, so probably meant for sidepull calipers, or hub brakes possibly? Has a VDC sticker on it, and a CW head tube decal. Serial number is MT09, so low production and possibly a test or prototype frame? I know I have never seen anything like this, ever! The rear dropouts are plate style, but with Campagnolo forged dropouts welded onto them. I am still puzzled by the reverse sloping top tube, though. The slant is enough that if it had a level top tube originally, the fork would have to have had a separate mount, or else a VERY deep crown. I am really going to enjoy this one, and keep it around a while. The plan is for first gen Deore friction thumb shifters, and a set of Suntour Mountech derailleurs. The brakes, well it's going to be rough either way. I either will get some MX brakes, or some adaptor plates and run some of the reproduction Dia Compe U brakes. Getting some wheels built with hub brakes isn't in the budget right now.

ChromCWone_zpsbc1c32fd.jpg

ChromeCWfour_zps8012cb66.jpg

ChromeCWtwo_zps9782c563.jpg

ChromeCWthree_zps4ae51995.jpg

Yeah it's one of those bikes that leaves you scratching your head, because it shouldn't exist. Yet there it is staring back at you. I saw it, and had to have it. My buddy had bought it off of ebay a year or so ago, but the frame was too big for him.

I would rule out VDC, everything they made was a tube piercing another tube. There have been a couple of CW mountain bikes posted on one of the forum boards.

Yes, but an old school VDC sticker is on the seat tube, and he built for for other brands as well. Not to mention not "everything he built" was tubing pierced, at least not the early stuff for other companies.

hi
could this be some sort of large size framed 26" wheel bmx bike?
i don't know much about them.
only recently started investigating the 26" bmx scene.
i think the fork is a landing gear.
here is an example of a titan 24" bmx on local craigslist
with the same fork. just a thought. hope this helps a bit.
roy

Attachments

• Titan 24 bmx.jpg
    Titan 24 bmx.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 1,194
The fork didn't come with the frame unfortunately, it's a recent repop. Even the guys at Mombat were puzzled, but they did say to contact them first if I ever plan to sell it. That's as much validation as I could ever want. Wait a second??? Could the down slant on the top tube be to make a "normal" height BMX bar fit correctly? IE: Not too high. I think you may be on to something there! That and NO derailleur will fit the seat tube, without a very thick shim. I have a set of BMX bars, and a 21.1 quill stem. I am going to try it and take a few pics. Thanks for the eye opener!!

Well, threw on the only set of BMX bars I had, and it clicked. I do believe this is a BMX bike for a large adult. It looks more correct than it did with bullmoose bars, that's for sure. I like it, and will be building this way, with a 1x 5 drivetrain, and early Dura ace cranks with a single 47T ring. I will get a new bar of course.

CWBMX2_zpsce5ff168.jpg

CWBMX1_zpsfdc8a179.jpg

CWBMX3_zps3e16aebb.jpg

I reckon that the rear dropouts have been cut & the Campag ones welded on so a rear mech can be added.

Back