cos one GT Zaskar isnt enough ;)

Re: Hi newbie

WOW !!!!! good work.Yeah think your right there. thought it would be. so did you just polish the frame up??

I used paint stripper, wet n dry, Autosyl and Peek polishes, it takes ages but is very rewarding. It all depends what you want to pay, it cost me £200 for the bike, then about £100 in bits (bottom bracket, brake blocks, cables grips etc) it adds up very quickly. Luckily that bike had all the right components. Or you could just buy someone's pride and joy for around £500, the best thing about retro Zaskars is you are not gonna lose any money.

well here's my ride ;) is it a GT outpost???? im not sure. done 150 miles on it now and its a great bike. friend of mine gave me the michelin wildgripper sprints which have made cycling on the road better :LOL:

I love 90's GT's, growing up I had a red Outpost and then a team scream Tequesta. Those tyres look cool, they'd look mint on a polished Zaskar. From looking at your seat and stem position you may need a 20" in a Zaskar.

thank you mate;) yeah me too i find myself starting to get Retro bikes more and more and love GTs this is an awesome bike and i only paid my dad £15 for it!!!

well im in love :D my good mate lent me his GT Zaskar Le for the day, did about 14 miles on it WOW Lovely ive never ridden what i would call a high end bike before i was totally blown away and im hooked on buying one :D

Another Zaskar owner here. Mine is an 18 inch 1995 Ink Blue Anno version. Its not very pure as I bought the frame and built it up with bits I had from my old work bike. Its doing duty as a work bike / cruiser right now. I do like riding it though and am toying with the idea of making it more of a mountain bike again. Like you I'm 6'1" tall. I have a relatively short inseam and the 18 seems ok to me. Funny thing about the Zaskar is that when you go up a frame size you don't get a lot more top tube length. There is a 19" frame and if I recall correctly all you get for your reduced standover is another 1/2 inch of top tube. If I had it to do all again I'd probably buy a 19, but when I got the frame I didn't know they stamped the size on the drop-out. Doh! :oops: That short top tube certainly makes it a much more maneuverable bike - its probably more akin to a modern "freeride" bike in geometry than many other ATB's of its era. Certainly more so than my old 92 stumpjumper.

Have fun.

Well i done it ive gone a brought myself a 1997 GT Zaskar LE its in fairly good condition but the spec aint right its a 19 Inch frame i have to say imo it dont seem to sit right :/ not sure if its the front fork that do that??? seem to have a reverse rake !!! and the frame seem massive in comparsion to my mate 1999 Le ??? is a 19inch frame ok for a 6'1 person??? are these the original decals guys?? they look like the are original but of an older zaskar?? and the compition series sticker shouldnt be stuck on the main frame????

plans are :-

syncros seat post (black)
syncros or Kore stem
rock shox forks
and XT /XTR Brakes and transmission
a decent handle bar

see what i mean dont seat right compared to my mate one :( and mine looks giant in comparsion!!!!

Re: my new GT Zaskar LE page 2

those arn't the right stickers, to get some you want to get in contact with a member here Gil_m I think (do a search). If you want to look the catalogues are here:
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/M ... atalogues/

looks like the forks are too long in the travel (can't be sure but look liek a crappy [as in late model] RS Judy fork). you need to get something with 60-80mm not 100mm (I have a new manitou R7 80mm on my Xizang and its great)

Back