trying to find high quality26 x 1 3/8 tyres

JakeMiddleton

Dirt Disciple
Hello

I am riding a 50s humber roadster 26 1 3/8 wheeled bike every day to work, my tyres are max 55 psi and tend to go a bit soft after about a week or so. Not in a slow puncture sort of way. just in a bit of a sluggish way.

What I was wondering is if anyone knows of a good quality tyre made in this size, I am wanting something with a higher PSI than 55. I know you probably wouldn't want to have super high psi on a bicycle with an upright posture but something around 80 or so would probably be suitable for my needs. I cant seem to find anything

thanks for any advice given

aha, great! Thank you that schwalbe marathon plus one looks just the thing! At 85 PSI my roadster will probably be at the highest pressure it has ever been!

If its 50s I'd guess you've got endrick or westwood rims? I'd be careful with higher pressures that the tyre's don't blow off the rims, been there, done that :)

I like the Panaracer Col-de-la-Vie tires. You don't have to run them at high pressure; they seem fast enough at 55 rear, 45 front. Higher pressure tires aren't necessarily faster.

Really!

As you can imagine, not all experts agree. The big proponent of fatter lower pressure tires is Jan Heine. Google him, there's a lot of stuff on this subject.

But basically, you get no benefit from higher than necessary tire pressure. You can figure out what you need from a table like this one:

http://www.biketinker.com/wp-content/up ... raph_2.jpg

But there's also the matter of high quality tires-- supple side walls, high thread counts, smooth tread... A whole lot of factors.

What's the ISO number for ye olde 26 and a bit inch?

Maybe you could bite the bullet, get some MTB rims, a nice set of schwalbe kojaks...

hmm, interesting graph! I weigh 61kg and my bike 17, according to that graph around 80psi roughly should do the trick if I read it correctly?

There were some available that go to 85. But at £30 per tyre its bloody expensive for a roadster tyre! ah well, those ones are apparently very puncture resistant :)

Back