The other "HOW MUCH IS MY xyz WORTH" thread for 98

coomber":3opt0twg said:
Think £100 is optimistic really chap, I'd have said £50 for the merida.
Tidy though it is, the merida is a simple URT with cheap parts. £50 at most I would say, although it does look tidy.

Probably right guys. Just though a full bike from a more well known name with 'just above' terrible parts would have gotten a tad more.

cyfa2809":wo0jtl0v said:
Probably right guys. Just though a full bike from a more well known name with 'just above' terrible parts would have gotten a tad more.
Yeah fair point :D . Don't think many people at that price bracket know Merida though, but if it had a bigger name on it may be nearer £100.

Hi guys, I bought this bike a while ago now, it was a bit of a monster bike with all bits thrown at it. With a very nice set of campagnolo wheels on it which I use on my retro raleigh road bike.

Can someone please help me identify the frame because the decals do not match a racing bike. It is very light, has ritchey stamped rear dropouts, nice arrow shaped rear brake bridge and a little hanger for a race number near the head tube.

Thanks in advance for your help and a general idea of price. Thx Rich

8B0C4492-25BD-453C-A049-1684FDA117BF-205-0000001DA1D2E02F_zps96f8837d.jpg

EF48711E-98DE-429F-865E-4EC0624CF57E-205-0000001DA9E2E182_zps724567f6.jpg

1490B3D7-959A-475D-A415-57E8164BBEA2-205-0000001DC78A55A9_zpsbb5f5b6d.jpg

C265F9C0-DF1B-47EE-AAB0-B3ABFEC94B39-205-0000001DB1AA3FFA_zps91f96652.jpg

2E8ACED3-E34E-475B-9B47-A0ED55225401-205-0000001DB93E7FA2_zpsa35bdddb.jpg

Re: The other "HOW MUCH IS MY xyz WORTH" thread for

Chaps, I've just bought a new toy, and I'm going to be selling my beloved Schwinn 4 Banger to make way for it. Apparently its Ok for some people to "need" 8 dozen pairs of shoes, but not to "need" to own four different bikes... :evil:

So, the 4 banger is going, but I really need to know its approximate value since it has a few pros and cons;

Pro's.

It's not cracked or dented, hasn't been raced, thrashed or crashed, and it's been used in dry weather only. I've only fallen off it once, when I low sided it going through a long corner...

It's got the best rear suspension system ever devised. A mix of carbon and alloy swing arms devised by Mert Lawwill, just like a Yeti.

It's one of the last 4 Bangers, made of easily repairable 7000 series aluminium tubes, which, if the worst were ever to happen, would make repair very simple.

Its fully IS disc brake compatible, meaning that you won't have to scour the earth looking for a direct mount 22mm brake for the back end.

It's been very well serviced, with annual strip and rebuild of the suspension system, including new bearings only a year ago.

The rear suspension is the latest iteration of this system from Schwinn, so it doesn't have the troublesome and crack prone pinch bolts of earlier frames.

It comes with both a coil shock and an air shock, complete with all the mountings for the trunnion mount.

Its datatagged.

With a different shock, it can deliver 6" of rear travel, as per the almost identical Schwinn Straight 6.

Its still on its original headset, bottom bracket, chain, cassette, and sprockets. They're worn, but still very serviceable, reflecting just how little use this bike has had.

Cons.

The paint on this bike has proven to be fragile. It's all there, but there's 13 years worth of stone chips and scratches there.

It's one of the last 4 Bangers, so it's not a "Homegrown" 6061 frame.

The frame is Large, 21" if memory serves. I'm 6'2" with a 34" inside leg, and the photo shows it set up for me.

I'll be keeping the wheels for my new bike, and I may even find a use for the recently serviced Judy SL as well, so this sale will be just the frame and shocks.

The inclusion of two shocks makes this about as future proof a 4 banger as you are likely to find.

So, what do you think its worth.

9d82c2192905eb486043a8cae8fce74b.jpg

69fd10ce6349f3a918e5870cc5ca37fb.jpg

GSB":268lob5m said:
Chaps, I've just bought a new toy, and I'm going to be selling my beloved Schwinn 4 Banger to make way for it. Apparently its Ok for some people to "need" 8 dozen pairs of shoes, but not to "need" to own four different bikes... :evil:

So, the 4 banger is going, but I really need to know its approximate value since it has a few pros and cons;

Pro's.

It's not cracked or dented, hasn't been raced, thrashed or crashed, and it's been used in dry weather only. I've only fallen off it once, when I low sided it going through a long corner...

It's got the best rear suspension system ever devised. A mix of carbon and alloy swing arms devised by Mert Lawwill, just like a Yeti.

It's one of the last 4 Bangers, made of easily repairable 7000 series aluminium tubes, which, if the worst were ever to happen, would make repair very simple.

Its fully IS disc brake compatible, meaning that you won't have to scour the earth looking for a direct mount 22mm brake for the back end.

It's been very well serviced, with annual strip and rebuild of the suspension system, including new bearings only a year ago.

The rear suspension is the latest iteration of this system from Schwinn, so it doesn't have the troublesome and crack prone pinch bolts of earlier frames.

It comes with both a coil shock and an air shock, complete with all the mountings for the trunnion mount.

Its datatagged.

With a different shock, it can deliver 6" of rear travel, as per the almost identical Schwinn Straight 6.

Its still on its original headset, bottom bracket, chain, cassette, and sprockets. They're worn, but still very serviceable, reflecting just how little use this bike has had.

Cons.

The paint on this bike has proven to be fragile. It's all there, but there's 13 years worth of stone chips and scratches there.

It's one of the last 4 Bangers, so it's not a "Homegrown" 6061 frame.

The frame is Large, 21" if memory serves. I'm 6'2" with a 34" inside leg, and the photo shows it set up for me.

I'll be keeping the wheels for my new bike, and I may even find a use for the recently serviced Judy SL as well, so this sale will be just the frame and shocks.

The inclusion of two shocks makes this about as future proof a 4 banger as you are likely to find.

So, what do you think its worth.

9d82c2192905eb486043a8cae8fce74b.jpg

69fd10ce6349f3a918e5870cc5ca37fb.jpg

Not sure the comment that it can be easily repaired is actually that true, most aluminium failures mean the frame is binned. However, don't see this as an issue as there are no cracks etc on the frame as it is!

BBB sold one of these near mint for £140 posted, so imagine that should be roughly what you should be looking for your frame:

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=224654

coomber":bgiq71n6 said:
Not sure the comment that it can be easily repaired is actually that true, most aluminium failures mean the frame is binned. However, don't see this as an issue as there are no cracks etc on the frame as it is!

BBB sold one of these near mint for £140 posted, so imagine that should be roughly what you should be looking for your frame:

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=224654

Aluminium is inherently repairable. With the right filler material, a competent welder and a decent TIG set, miracles can be performed. The problem is usually financial rather than technical. Is the frame in question worth the investment?

Frames of this age tend to carry rather more sentimental than investment value, so the cost of a repair should one be needed (and I hasten to add that this particular frame is crack and dent free!) is going to be the main deciding factor on whether an old retro frame lives on or not. 7005 Alloy has the advantage over 6061 here, since it age hardens very quickly, and so no post weld heat treatment is needed. That means a short weld repair followed by a patch paint job is usually all that's needed. The 7005 aluminium will age harden over the course of a few weeks without any heat being applied. The more "exotic" 6061 alloy does require heat treatment, which adds significantly to the cost. Instead of (if you're lucky) bunging your local fabricator / engineer a couple of beers in the pub in exchange for 20 minutes of drilling, grinding and welding, you get a significant heating bill, plus the cost of a full respray afterwards.

That's that advantage I was alluding to, it's just cheaper to repair 7005 if you need to.

I recall Barney's bike, which was a beauty. I think it has passed through a couple of retrobike owners now. I just bought the Pace RC40's that were on it during one its builds. £140 for that frame was an absolute bargain. At that price I would be tempted to buy it myself just to have the spare parts. Whoever bought it got a brilliant bike for next to nothing.

I thought it would be worth rather more, after all, it's not exactly commonplace, and it is a superb bike. eBay sales for them are very few and far between, and extremely variable in final sale price. £150 plus postage is the absolute minimum I've seen though, if you don't consider the 99p win that someone got earlier this year! Some sales have been considerably higher, making me wonder if it would be worth selling as a complete bike on there, and then sell the additional shock on seperatley. £140 isn't going to make a very big dent in my Whyte PRST-4 fund ;)

You would make more if you sold the shock seperately, supposing they both work fine as you say.

If you think £140 is too cheap, why not pitch it higher and see if it sells. All it needs is one interested buyer at the end of the day.

You'd make more if you split then sell as a full bike, that's pretty much a given.

coomber":2k6d9yz3 said:
You'd make more if you split then sell as a full bike, that's pretty much a given.

Just had a tragic thought. This will be the first bike I've ever actually "sold". All my others (and I must have had dozens) have been stolen, given away, or as as I suddenly recall a Raleigh Burner I had when I was a kid, simply "lost".

How embarrassing. :oops:

Back