considering getting one of these?

raleighrider21

Retro Guru
ive been looking for a bike i can use purely to get to and from the gfs on, since she isnt keen on me riding my new moped there and i dont wanna take the bus i thought why not in the long term save myself some busfare/petrol money, plus its a excuse to get a new bike.

got a few builds going on at the moment and dont have a bike to ride or time to build one suitable for the ride. terrain is for the most flat apart from one tiny hill. its 5 miles there 5 miles back (7 if i take the fun route home)

so i started looking on ebay for older road bikes sub £200 and saw this -
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VIKING-ROAD-F ... 58a15656f5

im tempted by it a) its cheap. b) seems kinda interesting to me. c) always wanted to try a singlespeed road bike.

anyone know much about them? would you get one?

if i do first thing im changing is those pedals !

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I wouldn't use a fixie on the roads. Cycling is dangerous enough.

I bet you could pick up something as good for half the money through Gumtree or Bumblebee auctions, or even on here!

GEARS: Single speed with 16t fixed cog and 18t Freewheel and KMC Z510 chain.

ill be riding on the freewheel side if i get it. had a look on gumtree and found nothing that takes my fancy or is suitable :(

going to take a look on bumblebee now

highlandsflyer":13dvphno said:
I wouldn't use a fixie on the roads. Cycling is dangerous enough.

If you're riding on your own then a fixed gear is fine. I wouldn't ride one in a bunch, but if I get passed by a local club then I tag on the back and spin a nut off, out of harms way.

Your bike handling skills sharpen with a fixed wheel and you can actually stop quicker in an emergency.

I'm more alert on a fixed than I am on a freewheel machine. I'm thinking about everyone around me (more) and my pedalling style is more effective when I get back on my geared bike, plus I'm a lot stronger.

There's nowt wrong with a fixed machine. I have more of a smile on my face when I return after a blast on the roads, than when I'm trundling along with gears.

Enjoy ;)

You'll want new tyres immediately if you're using it for a commute; cheap 700x23 tyres are awful. And personally, I wouldn't want a commuter bike without mudguards. Otherwise, you could do worse.

Worth seeing if anyone could find you something better here first though.

No, I wouldn't get one. Despite the looks, the component and frame spec is screaming gas pipes (Hi-ten steel) with cheapo generic tat bolted to it that won't last two minutes. I can virtually guarantee there will be hardly any grease on any assembled part. You would do much better scanning the local ads for a bargain second hand with a higher spec. and having a go tweaking it over time.

I would have to disagree.

If it's just something to see you to work, high tensile steel is absolutely fine for a bike.

I would go for something secondhand if you can find it, but honestly? That will probably be fine until you get bored of it. Go round the wheels with a spoke key before you start.

Back