Front derailer (friction gears)

rk92

Dirt Disciple
On my Emmelle road bike, ive finally refitted the front derailer- but im having a slight problem

When I change up to the large chainring (friction gears) Its very easy to pull the level two far down and push the chain off. Am I adjusting the gears wrong, or does the cable need tightning/ slacking off? What position is the friction lever supposed to be at when on the small chainring and which position on the large one

I spent the morning getting really frustrated with this, any help on where im going wrong would be great!

Those two little screws on top of the mech are the means to adjusting upper and lower limits. Get close in and look and you should see the means by which they manage it. Most are labeled H and L.

Mine go almost vertical when on the big ring and flat on the tube when on the small ring.

Ive adjusted it so it was working fine, the problem I was having is that it was very easy to keep pulling the lever towards me and over-shift off the large chainring. On the rear derailer the lever goes a certain distance then stops, where as I cannot get the front to do this. Ill have a look at the Park Tools site and see if that helps, thanks

With friction changing it's the mech that determines where the lever stops not the other way. The cage should be 'parallel' with the chainrings when viewed from above and just clear the chain when on the big ring and small sprocket. It should also not catch on the back of the chainwheel crank. If these are correct then it's a case of 'fiddling' with the adjusting screws until perfection is achieved.

The High and Low stops need to be set so the cage travel is restricted and the chain cannot move too far. If correctly set you will not be able to move the lever past this point. Sometimes the stop screws wear with age and can no longer be set properly. In this case replacing the screws can do the trick.

Back