learner driver - test in 3 weeks any tips?

Tazio":3o76msks said:
The best advice I got from my instructor was that he wasn't teaching me to drive, he was teaching me to pass a test and I would teach myself to drive once I had my licence. It all made sense to me after I got told that.

I had to learn in a short period of time as I had a job coming up that needed a licence and could only afford 6 lessons. No theory test nonsense in those days though.

Funny instructor 1, my sister rec, No offence to Africans :D but I could not understand a word he said, 2nd sister rec again, tried to seduce me on failure suggested the lesbian examiner :roll: I stopped the car and said I hope you don't expect I pay pay for this lesson:roll: 3rd instructor, Asian, the last lesson picked me up and I took her home, both talked in their language and ignored my driving, I could of killed someone and she'd have not noticed. Final instructor, " my cat's could drive better" was the usual statement, I couldn't piss on a cake and be acceptable in her eyes :roll: the last day I said I don't want a lesson before my 3rd test tomorrow, she insisted, I got into the car and said "I don't care what you say, I AM GOING TO PASS!!!", she had told my hubby I'd fail guaranteed :roll: I was out for 40mins, instructor was convinced I'd failed, got back and the examiner said, "congratulations you've passed" I screamed and stamped my feet so hard he said " I'm glad I wasn't here when you failed" :D er been about driving just pasing a tesy

No driver ever learns anything until they're on the road, no test in the history of motors has ever taught anyone to drive just to pass a test, it's up to the passee, I've invented a ward apparently :D to learn after. some kids think they are gods gift to it and drive like loonies, shit I was scared for weeks, does that make me better? na probably not. My son, was cool, collected yet really sensible and he's 20.

Alison

im a confident driver when im with my grandad, ive drove once with a family friend in the car instead and was weird but suppose thats normal. im going out in the car tommorrow for a day long outing.
im hoping i get a good examiner who isnt in a bad mood lol
i passed my bike test first time so hopefully i wont be too bad lol atleast i wont have to worry about stalling haha im gonna give parralell parking ago and try not to hit the kurb tommorrow, gf not long ago did a rush through course thing and passed. now driving a renault twingo :/

if i fail ill have a moped to ride for a bit lol

just relax. dont think too hard about it as that will put you on edge, just relax and let it come naturally. Im going to be starting lessons again in a month or so (already have a car just need to be able to drive it because insurance is a killer lol) after I bottled it when I was 17 (that was 6 years ago). just bricked myself even thinking about driving.

been riding mopeds for the last 4 years instead. but need to be able to drive now so the time has come to face my fears. (will be using the bikes more than the car but need a car for longer journeys)

Just relax :D

Speaking as someone who only passed my test 18 months ago, I'd say that the gears are probably the most difficult (and stressful) thing to think about - and you don't have that worry because you're testing in an Auto. So no worrying about hill starts, stalling at lights etc :)

If you're a good, confident driver when you're with your grandad then you've already passed your test - you just need to stay calm. The driving examiner wants you to pass, and he/she will be able to assess pretty much straight away whether you're a competent driver or not.

I took my test on the worst day possible - I"m Welsh, I'm a MASSIVE rugby fan and I'd just been to the Millennium Stadium and watched Wales beat France to win the Grand Slam. My test was on the Monday, and it was at 10.00am. Needless to say I wasn't feeling 100%! I still managed to pass.

You'll be as nervous as hell leading up to the test, but as has been mentioned before, it's ONLY a test. It doesn't matter if you fail. You can just take it again. If you find yourself getting really uptight, practise your breathing - in through the nose and out through the mouth, nice and slowly. You'll be surprised at how much it'll help to steady you.

Good luck :)

MarinMartin":2as3k8s4 said:
just relax. dont think too hard about it as that will put you on edge, just relax and let it come naturally. Im going to be starting lessons again in a month or so (already have a car just need to be able to drive it because insurance is a killer lol) after I bottled it when I was 17 (that was 6 years ago). just bricked myself even thinking about driving.

been riding mopeds for the last 4 years instead. but need to be able to drive now so the time has come to face my fears. (will be using the bikes more than the car but need a car for longer journeys)

had my full bike licence and was restricted to 33bhp and lost the licence because of the totting up rule got 6 points in a day. cant be bothered taking bike test again because of the new laws. own fault really, got another moped today though but still need to get car test done :S

shit myself up quite badly at a roundabout today, was taking third exit, got into the right hand lane, signalled my intentions etc, checked it was all clear to the right and it was, out of nowhere comes a little vespa. never hit the brakes so quick. getting better at parallel parking but for some reason left hand reverse is a bit hard :(

granddad reckons its time I get into the micra, he thinks ill be better in a smaller car but im unsure and getting used to a car that's a lot smaller and has a lot less power than what im used to so soon is making me unsure of this move :/ told me to think it over and let him know what I want to do tomorrow :/

If you have a choice of time of day for it try to book it for the busiest. Traffic moving slowly is easier to deal with allowing you to concentrate more on finesse.

Oh well, I am sure the roads are pretty busy around there anyway! Roundabouts are a big failure point in driving tests, so well worth focussing on. Try to dress smartly and don't stand smoking before getting in the examiner's car, especially a spliff.

Go for a long bike ride or see the missus the night before so you get a good long sleep.

Make sure your basic knowledge about car mechanicals is up to snuff, i.e. know where the windscreen wash goes and the oil dipstick is.

Don't try to flirt with your examiner.

I think that is everything covered.

highlandsflyer":o2597qlb said:
Oh well, I am sure the roads are pretty busy around there anyway! Roundabouts are a big failure point in driving tests, so well worth focussing on. Try to dress smartly and don't stand smoking before getting in the examiner's car, especially a spliff.

Go for a long bike ride or see the missus the night before so you get a good long sleep.

Make sure your basic knowledge about car mechanicals is up to snuff, i.e. know where the windscreen wash goes and the oil dipstick is.

Don't try to flirt with your examiner.

I think that is everything covered.

they can be busy at times and im hoping theyre especially busy when it comes to test time lol usually good at roundabouts but i think today shows im not :/

will be in college clobber so smart dress front should be ok - dont smoke full stop - didnt even bloody think about sleep,must stop going to sleep at 2am and waking up at 6am :roll: deffinately going to need to tire myself out somehow. mechanic by trade and learnt where absolutely everything is on the car im using so should be ok there.

dont know if ill be able to stop myself on the flirting one if i get a good looking female examiner aha :LOL: :roll: - god i hope the gf isnt reading this thread lol

thanks for tips so far :)

Have a lesson before your test - my last lesson ended at the test centre, I was understandably nervous and drove like a complete tit, including reversing straight into the wall of the test centre when I parked up there! It got the nerves out of my system though and I passed, good luck mate!

Latest posts

Back