A bit of wheel advice please

wired99

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hi guys,

I'm currently loving riding my '85 Canyon on the the South Downs and need to do something about my wheels. They are the original wheels - Rigida rims on Suzue hubs - 5 speed.
problem is the spokes are awful, slack and, well,old. So, what to do? hubs are ok but a little worn.
Shall I get them respoked, live with the hubs?
Or shall I replace them? maybe with 6 speed ones?

roulette is what would I get? I love the fact they are original and of their time so what else would work on this bike do you think? What were the best wheels around then, or maybe a little later in the 80s?
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=122606&start=30

Any advice would've greatly received. I hope everyone is fine and well, been of the site for ages!!

freewheel hubs are all of the cheap variety. They do not run smoothly and will wear quickly. There are a couple about but I would not recomend them. Finding good used freewheel hubs will be difficult. Taking a modern 8 /9/10 speed hubs fitting a XT M732 freehub to it and replace the axle with a 137mm so it is setup for 126mm OLD unless you have 130mm OLD in which case a 141mm axle is required, is the best option I can think of. Then you can usea 7 speed HG cassette and you will have to change your shifters.

If the Suzue hubs are anything like the ones on my Diamond Back I'd keep them and relace them to either the same rims if they're not too heavy or worn or some fresh rims, though it depends in what way they're feeling worn I guess.

Firstly I'd strip the hubs and fit new bearings. Suzue always had a great reputation for hubs on tandems. If they come good, relace the wheel with new spokes after checking how badly worn the rims are.

Failing that. I would build up some new hubs using the Suzue axles on something like Campagnolo or Maxicar hubs to keep the period feel. They are all fairly simple in construction and will be amenable to a mix and match of bits.

Thanks for all the responses guys, I think I will respoked the ones I have. Have checked the hubs and rims and they will broth be fine with a bit of love and attention. hanks for all the advice, much appreciated :)

Back