RetroBike National Series Rd 6: Peak District ~ AFTERMATH

Re: RetroBike National Series Rd 6: Peak District ~ AFTERMAT

Good day out as always chaps. Thanks to Paul, Lee and Martin for putting on another top Peaks ride. Good to meet plenty of old and new faces, also good to see a majority on retro machines, felt I'd let the side down slightly with a 10 year old set of forks on a 16 year old frame :D

Route was good as ever although seemed far tougher in places compared to previous years, can only assume the relatively hard winter with copious amounts of rain have chopped the tracks up in places.

Good to find a new cafe in Edale too and see change from a fiver for lunch.

Seemed a high rate of attrition this year on the way round, at least a 'hardcore' completed the entire route.

That new cafe was rubbish! They didn't have anything to eat. A bunch of us went to the pub round the corner and it was fantastic. Food was ace, loads of outside tables to sit at.

36 whittled down to the few.... Great day out in the Peaks again, blessed with decent weather again too. My missus enjoyed watching the video of me falling on my arse Rob, thanks :LOL:

Thank you one and all for a very good day.
I first did this ride in 2009 and met Old Ned who stood out as being even older than me. His main goal was to ride the Radiomast climb, which I believe he had failed to do in 2008. He did it. Well it has taken me four attempts and yesterday I did it, no dabs, no breaks. So thanks Ned, it's dedicated to you, and thanks to Retrobike for providing the framework for my riding over the last few years.
Clearly the highlight of my day, it was closely followed by the descent from Mam Tor, and the final descent back to Hope.
The descent from Bradwell Edge was far trickier than two years ago. Good vid Rob.
It was terrific that the Pace got an honorable mention, thanks chaps, and even better that it didn't get bike-of-the-ride as there is no way I would have got the Mustang past Carol.
I'm terrible with names, so to the chap with the clear-coated Orange, if you fancy a Tuesday night potter around Bretby just let me know. And to Ben, I'll have a word with Mat and see when he has a Tuesday night clear. You really don't want to do a nightride in the Pines without him.
To Mr Ship I hope you're going to post up that picture of the Yo taken just before the final descent.

See you next time
Rob

Just got back from Sheffield.
My first time riding in the Peaks and what a great day out. Excellent company with a few faces starting to become familiar to me. Superb range of bikes being ridden, some of which made my Mojo look a bit modern! I had my fingers crossed all week for good weather, and we certainly struck lucky on that front. Really pleased to have made it all the way round, although I was running out of beans at the end. Legs still ache a bit today. Descents were great fun, but I will admit to getting off and mincing down to the gate at the end of Bradwell Edge? Too slippy for me. I was pleased with my stylish topple off into the hedge on the hill climb of certain failure - gave somebody a laugh. If you didn't go this year, do it next time - you will be missing out if you don't. My Highlights:
The scenery, climbs, the scenery, descents, the scenery, the company, the scenery, Spences' beer, oh and did I mention the scenery?
Thanks again guys and I look forward to doing that again next year. Chris.

Big thanks to the organizers for a great day out in the Peaks as usual, I nearly didn't ride as my cold/man flu was getting worse and worse but I'm glad I did as it was just what the doctor ordered!

After 3 years of attending this ride its a real shame to see just how damaged some of the trails are becoming through our long hard winters of late and probably too many bikes and foot traffic so maybe a new route is the way to go for 2014.
I'll really miss the muddy toboggan run downhill into Bradwell though as it never fails to produce a few laughs :D

Congrats to all the prize winners and a massive thanks to Legrandefromage for collecting my new Univega from Thetford and delivering to me at this ride, awesome karma from him too for donating that mint Mustang!

Managed to gain a sweet looking Raleigh tyre if that belongs to anyone?

Also lost part of my multi tool in the car park if anyone found that.

rc200ti":1omtgn8m said:
I first did this ride in 2009 and met Old Ned who stood out as being even older than me. His main goal was to ride the Radiomast climb, which I believe he had failed to do in 2008. He did it. Well it has taken me four attempts and yesterday I did it, no dabs, no breaks. So thanks Ned, it's dedicated to you, and thanks to Retrobike for providing the framework for my riding over the last few years.
Rob

Aw shucks Rob, I've come over all embarassed :oops: :oops:

I'm even older now............... :cry: Couldn't do it in my current state but maybe next year :)

Good to hear you made it this year - you been training? ;)

Old Ned":f8j9m9uc said:
rc200ti":f8j9m9uc said:
Rob

Aw shucks Rob, I've come over all embarassed :oops: :oops:

I'm even older now............... :cry: Couldn't do it in my current state but maybe next year :)

Good to hear you made it this year - you been training? ;)

......I had a moment, staring at my tyre in a semi trance, lungs and legs screaming, where I thought 'why?.......I've nothing to prove!.....stop and take in the view!'.........I dabbed and you passed me rob!.....i swear even the spoke key in my pack made a difference!.......I'm ashamed of my weakness!......I'm starting training now, and I will put it on record here and now that next year I will not be beaten!......

.......the search for a 20 tooth granny ring starts tonight!....... :LOL:

Back