Klein Axel 113mm or 115mm required.

funkster

Dirt Disciple
Help!

I have managed to put together a lovely Klein Pinacle build - but there is a final stage that is keeping it off the road...

The original Axle was too long for the XTR crankset that I would like to use - it would not engage the outer chain wheel as it was too far out for the front mech. I managed to acquire a 115mm from a very kind gent on the forum, but it had been repaired and the new thread does not seem to hold very well - so I'm back to square one.

I think it's a 115mm that I need - but have been told 113mm and 108mm in the past! The 115 seems to fit, so ideally I would like to find another one of these. I noticed a 111mm for sale today - but have no idea if that would fit!

Please help me!

The bike is soooo nice, and to own a Klein has been a dream of mine ever since the late 80's! Just a shame I now own one with no peddles!

Cheers

Miles

Vinevo":2c5r8dts said:
There is a 108 on US eBay ending very soon!

Thanks for the heads up guys!

Arie has posted me the tech sheet which includes a healthy application of loctite - so that may go some way to fixing the problem.

If not, I just won that NOS one too - so hopefully some chance this beauty will be pounding the pavement soon!

All the best

Miles

Just noticed the recommendation is for a 108x18 and the one I won is 108x17 - hope that will be OK

All axles are 17 mm diameter, you have misunderstood what the 18 mm dimension is, see page 27 of the Klein tech manual for explanation, it's the distance from the end of the axle to the face of the bearing. ;)

Not the first time I have misunderstood something when it comes to the complexity of these lovely old bikes!
Thanks for the info!

Latest posts

Back